Author Topic: where was granddad born, sunderland?  (Read 11236 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where was granddad born, sunderland?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 February 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth date of one of my relatives from his cemetery stone--well I couldn't find it.  I must have bought 4 John Cole birth certs for the area only to find when the 1851 census came out that for what ever reason they moved to Wales, had John, then back to Durham all within 2 years.  Then I got the correct certificate. --The day and month were correct on the head stone but the year was one off from his birth certificate. Makes me want to go to the cemetery with a chisel and gray cement.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 February 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
hi 2zpool, i know what thats like, i had a mystery which i just had to solve no matter what,
it started with a 3rd person in the grave of my g grandparents and no-one knew who he was.
it took 6 birth certs before i found out he was the illigitimate nephew of my g grandmother who he was buried with. his surname was not a family name which threw me for a while. it may have cost a little for the unwanted certs but the excitement and relief when i got the right one was well worth it
griff

Offline Bob Cassidy

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching Cassidy Family & Barns Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 February 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Whilst searching, found this one which you probably have.  Hulme Alice Gertrude Sunderland 10a 670

Cassidy and Barns

Offline Bob Cassidy

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching Cassidy Family & Barns Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 February 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Have tried extensive search with no result.  Just a thought my ancestors in Sunderland moved back and forth from Scotland from time to time.  Have you tried checking birth records in Scotland? [Jut in case]
Cassidy and Barns

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 February 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
hi bob, thanks for the info, i have got that one, she's my grandads younger sister.
he had 9 brothers and sisters and all of them are easy to find including marriages and deaths, children of etc. funnily enough the hulme name ended on this branch as all the males had daughters and all the females (that married) had sons i think my mother who is now 85 is the last one who was a hulme.
griff

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 February 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
just to update everyone that helped me in my search for the answer to why granddads birth couldn't be found in sunderland.
i've been in touch with those very nice people at the sunderland register office and they did a ten year search for me with no result for the person i asked about, details supplied were, name, date of birth and names of both parents so i now know that my granddads record of birth is not in sunderland.
griff