Author Topic: where was granddad born, sunderland?  (Read 11239 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where was granddad born, sunderland?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
It's a mystery as to why he isn't registered.  I've also joined in the hunt using as many wild cards as I can think of plus using his middle name as a surname.  As well as the freebmd I searched Sunderland plus both the North & South Tyneside sites and also Durham which I know has some Sunderland records. - not even a a desperate "Joan Audrey" turned up

The only Aubrey that turned up was this one in Reading, which probably isn't yours as it's the wrong year and George might be the mother's surname.  On the other hand it has been known for the registrar to record incorrect christian names.

Births
Mar 1902 / Hulme / Aubrey George /  Reading 2c/376a
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena,
i really like a mystery and there are plenty in my family but this one has got me.
I might investigate the reading birth as i'm now grasping at straws, the years between 1901, sunderland and 1905, southampton are a little vague and there's no-one still alive that would know about them, wish i'd talked to edith, who i visited regularly, she was the eldest sibling, and Ellaline the youngest who only died about 6 years or so ago. they were a really interesting family and the reason i started my tree. Its always the one record you really want that you cant find it seems  ::)
griff,

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
It's a mystery as to why he isn't registered.  I've also joined in the hunt using as many wild cards as I can think of plus using his middle name as a surname.  As well as the freebmd I searched Sunderland plus both the North & South Tyneside sites and also Durham which I know has some Sunderland records. - not even a a desperate "Joan Audrey" turned up

The only Aubrey that turned up was this one in Reading, which probably isn't yours as it's the wrong year

Births
You are supposed to register a birth within six weeks, so a birth registered at the beginning of January could have taken place in November of the previous year.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 January 12 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan, thats true. I'm going to look into hulmes in the reading area and see what i can find, its strange that there's a birth registered in reading though as the next was in shipley, yorks then southampton but its certainly worth investigating further, Theo was in based farnborough in the mid 1880s, army medical corp so he certainly got around, its strange how all the other children were registered in the places where they were born but nothing for john
griff

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »

The only Aubrey that turned up was this one in Reading, which probably isn't yours as it's the wrong year

Births
You are supposed to register a birth within six weeks, so a birth registered at the beginning of January could have taken place in November of the previous year.

Stan

Stan, I had occasion to phone up Beverley, Yorkshire archivist because my great grandfather's death wasn't showing up at all on the micro fiche of the NBI (national burial index).  My aunts thought he'd died Nov.1942.  The archivist said it wasn't unheard of for registrations to be overlooked and sent down to London in the next quarter's entries, or even overlooked altogether if they were a single entry.  She spent 15 free minutes checking Yorkshire records but couldn't find him.

To finish off that story - several years later I came across a police record which showed he'd changed his given name, which meant that when I returned to the NBI he was there in the correct quarter but not in the district I expected because his death didn't occur at home but in a nearby hospital which was in a different district.  Plus, his surname of "Fleming" had somehow changed to "Flemming" in the NBI list.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 January 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
A death has to be registered in the district in which it took place. It is quite common for people to die in a hospital in another district from the one where they live.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 January 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
All the info from everyone is very helpful indeed and I thank you all for that, I know that if no-one on here can find it then its not there.
The fact that an event must be registered in the place it happened is something I didn't know so I have to start with a search request to GRO with the info I have and see what turns up.
I will certainly put the result on here for any one that may have read this
griff

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Aubrey George Hulme registered reading 1902 is not yours.  His parents are Henry and Amelia and he is in Berkshire with them in 1911 doing a free search. :)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:15 GMT (UK) »
hi crisane, thank you for having a look, i've got a form filled out for the GRO, seems like thats the only way to find it, i asked my mum, johns daughter about it again and she said he was definately born there on 1st june 1901 so thats what i put on the form, so, we'll see what happens  :-\   once again a big thank you
griff