Author Topic: Reginald C H Brayn  (Read 2357 times)

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reginald C H Brayn
« on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Reginald was my mothers uncle (her father's brother). He practised as a veterinary surgeon in Bedwelty in the early 1900's.  In 1906, aged 32yrs,  he died tragically when he fell onto a railway line whilst out walking and was hit by a train. many years ago my mother told me about a newspaper reporting of the accident with the headline - The Man with the Iron Nerve - I assume it would be a local paper and wonder if there's any way of tracing this. I know the date is correct as I have his death certificate.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reginald C H Brayn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I will be visiting Newport Reference Library a few times in the next week, and should be able to check some of the local papers for any reports.Do you have a date for  Reginald's death?
Census Information Crown

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, yes I have his death certificate - He died on 8th October 1906 and I think his address was Cwrt Coch Farm, Aberbargoed. Apparantly he was walking along the Brecon and Merthyr Railway. Any other info would be very much appreciated.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
aceofspades

Found this little piece so far.

South Wales Argus Oct 9th 1906

Death of Mr Brain

Veterinary surgeon,man of iron nerve,Mr W Brain, Aber-Bargoed,who was run over on the Brecon and Merthyr line last Friday week,died on Monday evening.It will be remembered that Mr Brain calmly smoked a cigarette while being conveyed home,although one of his legs had been left on the line and the toes of the other foot cut off. After showing signs of improvement,Mr Brain became delirious on Monday and died in the evening.

Steve

I will have another look for you sometime next week to see if I can find any reports for the day the accident happened
Census Information Crown

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information. What a terrible accident and what a brave man.  If you do discover any more information would you note if there is a photo please as I have never seen any photos of that side of family, and I would love to.
Once again, I am very grateful to you for your efforts.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 14:49 GMT (UK) »
aceofspades

This is all I can find at the moment.

South Wales Argus Sept 28th 1906  page 3

Wonderful Nerve
Powell-Duffryn Vets Great Pluck.
Presence of mind in great suffering.

Mr W Brain,the veterinary surgeon under the Powell-Duffryn Collery Co,met with a shocking accident on Thursday night.He was walking along the Brecon-Merthyr railway from New-Tredegar to Aber-Bargoed,when he was knocked down by a mineral train.One of his legs was completley severed,while the toes on the foot of the other leg were also cut off.About mid-night a man named Baden heard Mr Brains cries for help and on going to the spot found the injured man holding his leg in the air,in order to check the flow of blood.Baden communicated with PC Evans and PC Thomas at Aber-Bargoed and they rendered first aid and administered stimulants.The sufferer displayed wonderful nerve throughout,smoked a cigarette,and directed the police to get his latch key from his pocket.When Baden reached him he said he had been lying therefore three hours.

Steve
Census Information Crown

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 12 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Steve:  Thankyou so much for the effort you have made to find this information. It doesn't make very pleasant reading does it, but I'm proud of the connection I have with this exceptionally brave man, what a pity he didn't survive. As I mentioned in my email to you, I don't know whether he was buried in that area or brought back to Shropshire, where he was born. I also don't know if he was married but I have checked in the BMD's and found no records of a marriage. Once again, thanks for taking the time for this research.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »

Could this be his death registration?

BRAYN, Reginald C H
Registration District:  Help   Bedwellty
County:    Monmouthshire
Year of Registration:    1906
Quarter of Registration:    Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death:    32