Author Topic: Samuel Bewick Death *COMPLETED*  (Read 1406 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Samuel Bewick Death *COMPLETED*
« on: Saturday 28 January 12 05:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the death/burial record of Samuel Bewick.

He was born in Durham in 1773, married in Durham in 1802 to Sarah McCree, They were in Washington, Durham for the birth of the first son, but by 1805 was in Longbenton, Northumberland. From the information regarding the rest of the children, 10 in all, he remained in Longbenton until the birth of the last child in 1827.

The 1841 census has his wife Sarah, aged about 70, still in Longbenton, as the head of the household, HO107/822/book 4/42/34. From this it would appear that Samuel was no longer there. I simply cannot find him in the census at all in 1841. ???

I have tried to find him on Family Search, and FreeReg, to no avail. :'(
FreeBDM gives some possibilities, Mar 1849 in Gateshead, Jun 1853, Tynemouth, and Dec 1856 also Tynemouth. If one of these is him, why can’t I find him in the census? :(

One of those where other people looking from different points of view could solve the problem easily, with me going round in circles, looking at the same information time and again :-[

Any help gratefully received
 A Chesters

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Bewick Death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 12 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Samuel BEWICKE, recorded by the Northumberland & Durham Family History Society, being buried at Ballast Hills Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne on 7th August 1832, aged 63. Yours?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
 Although Longbenton today is part of Newcastle, in the era concerned it was outside of Newcastle. The parish of Longbenton lay within the jurisdiction of Tynemouth Registration District.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »
No Sam Bewick burials in Longbenton up to 1839.  There was a Mary age 86 in 1838, and a Robert, age 1yr 6mo in 1838.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »

Sarah and household were in the community of Walker, which lay within the parish of Longbenton.

Geographically the distance from Walker to Ballast Hills cemetery ( which lay on the eastern side of Newcastle) was much shorter than that of Walker to St Bartholomew's, parish church of Longbenton.

So perhaps the burial in Ballast Hills, found by Victor Harvey, is a good candidate ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 12 03:38 GMT (UK) »
I keep forgetting to take spelling differences into account :-[

I thing that Victor is most likely correct, as an age of 63 gives a birth date on 1769, which I think is a reasonable time difference from the 1773 I have with the Durham images.

Michael, your geographic information is "duh" so obvious as to seem to me to be correct. Being in Australia, and before coming out here, never going to the area, I will trust your information.

I checked on the Internet about the cemetery, and it stipulates that it was used by Protestants. I am led to belive that Samuel was a Methodist, so it would appear to be the most likely place on those grounds also.

Thank you all for your input, even the negative information from Janis is useful, as it helps to eliminate that area from checking.

AC