Author Topic: flynn  (Read 5339 times)

Offline pondjumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
flynn
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about my greatgrandfather, John Flynn, circa 1850 - 1880.  He married a servant girl and had three children: John, Nora, and Rose.  Soon after he died in Chicago, Illinois when bringing some of his sheep to market.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: flynn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
What's the connection to Isle of Man and exactly what sort of information are you looking for?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
there was a Flinn family in Malew Street Castletown in 1851 + 1861 census
Father Hugh aged 60 in 1851 an ag lab  (born Ireland) buried Malew 18571213 age 68 + wife Sussanh age 58 in 1851 buried Malew 18600422 age 67 - two known children Hugh (age 24 in 61 still unmarried in 61) + son John both born ireland (age 35 in 61) - John missing from 51 but in 61 a pig dealer also living in Malew st in both censuses - married to an irish born Bridget - first child John born Castletown age 1 in 51 but don't have a bapt - possibly Roman Catholic ?
By 1881 John senr is still there in Malew St Castletown Farmer Of 12 Acres Publican [Victoria Arms] - buried Malew 18850302 age 67
There was another Daniel Flinn age 45 + wife Alice in 61 census both born Co Down living in Parliament st - a Cattle + general dealer
There was a major Flinn/Flynn family in Douglas one of whom later became mayor of Douglas - not sure of any linkage however tho it may be that Daniel the Mayor was son or gson of the above Daniel (look up Flinn/Flynn on www.manxnotebook.com - many refs)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline pondjumper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
What's the connection to Isle of Man and exactly what sort of information are you looking for?

My grandmother was Bridgit Rose Flynn. 
Her father's family owned something like a manor house on the southern side of the Isle of Man. It  was reportedly confiscated by the U. K.  at the time of WW I in order to serrve as a lookout point for enemy vessels.

When my grandmother's father died, prior to 1900, his parents evicted her mother and the children from their home since she was only a servant before marrying their son.

I would like to one day visit her birth home.

Offline pondjumper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »

Also, my grandmother said one of her uncle's was a banker, and one taught Gaelic at Trinity College, even though the language was officially barred from usage at the time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Afraid I still don't understand. The Flynn family owned a large property on Isle of Man but John Flynn "died in Chicago, Illinois when bringing some of his sheep to market."  ???

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I'm also confused - The Malew St John Flinn senr + Bridget (who was buried age 75 Malew 19040211) ran a pub - after John's death his widow ran it (see www.manxnotebook.com/towns/castltwn/whc/ch10.htm - their first child born c.1850 was John - he is not with father, mother + younger siblings in 1881 census

John senr + his wife Bridget would not appear to have owned any other property than the now demolished hotel + marine stores in Malew Street Castletown - thus I presume it is the parents of John Flinn junr's wife Bridget who owned the property.  There is no Bridget Flinn/Flynn of the required age inthe 1891 or 1901 IoM census.
There was some requistioning of property in WW1 but this was mostly for the two Alien internment camps (Knockaloe on a farm previously used for troop camps + Douglas (a holiday camp) - both were returned to owners post war)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Trudles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
As far as I can make out Hugo Flinn c1785 was married to Susannah c1790.  They had two sons named John and Daniel (possibly also a daughter who remained in Ireland).  John (c 1831-1885) married a Bridget O'Hare c1829-1904 and Daniel married Alice Bannon (known as Ally).  Their children included Daniel jnr, Hugh, Alice, Ellen or Eleanor and Sarah.   Alice was my great grandmother.  Daniel jnr among other things became a fish merchant and was responsible for reviving the Manx kipper industry (see Ramsey Courier 12.5.1899) and was also Mayor of Douglas Corporation as well as being an alderman for many years.  Hugh became a ship owner and lived in Liverpool.   I do have the family tree on Ancestry, so a search for Daniel Flinn b 1848 should enable you find it.   If you don't have access, then post an email address and I'll contact you with more details, photos of headstones, etc.
Trudie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
You aren't allowed to post your email address here but both you and pondjumper (who never responded to our comments on this thread) have enough posts to use PM (Personal Message) system to exchange email addresses privately.