Author Topic: The Pawnbrokers Arms ,Landport,Portsmouth ?  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Pawnbrokers Arms ,Landport,Portsmouth ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
And there's no Mary Rose st in portsmouth,

Check out this postcode on Google maps or streetmap:  PO1 2BL.  And I believe streetview shows the street name on a wall.  ;)

Greetham st is in Somers Town not Landport

I'd agree with you, but S Hogg of the Pawnbrokers Arms thought otherwise!  I've checked the location on the old OS maps and Marylebone Street was between Belgrave Street and Sussex Street.  All three ran in a southerly direction from Greetham Street.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Well, we know it definatley existed at one time. We have the evidence, ergo, the bottle. I usually use streetmap uk and that shows none of the rds mentioned at all in portsmouth apart from greetham st. For those that don't know portsmouth, portsea is mainly naval base and a small area to the south of it. Below that is old portsmouth, to the east of them are Landport, Somers town below that and the southsea right across the bottom. East again is fratton and below that milton. There are other areas to the east and north of them but I won't list them all. I always believed landport and somers town were divided by the railway but it may be winston churchill way which is a little further south. I did have a contact in portsmouth with loads of old maps of the town but he died last year and his shop is now empty.
Portsmouth was hit quite hard by the "german demolition co" when they came over so a lot has changed since the war. Odd though that portsmouth pubs don't have it listed so it may have had a name change that they don't know of.
 I will make some enquiries next time I deliver down there.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »

Check out this postcode on Google maps or streetmap:  PO1 2BL.  And I believe streetview shows the street name on a wall.  ;)

Greetham st is in Somers Town not Landport

I'd agree with you, but S Hogg of the Pawnbrokers Arms thought otherwise!  I've checked the location on the old OS maps and Marylebone Street was between Belgrave Street and Sussex Street.  All three ran in a southerly direction from Greetham Street.

Nell

Hi not being from the area, but Belgrave Street, Greetham Street, are shown as Portsea on the 1861 Census search I did above, did/was Landport part of Portsea at that time?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

Nell, apologies, I have it now. Makes a difference when you put THE in front of mary rose. The area between greetham st and W C way has been almost completely rebuilt so most if not all of the old rds in that area have gone. Now flats, and the law courts etc and I feel quite safe in saying that The Mary Rose st has only been called that since she was dragged out of the sea a few years ago.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline dalkey mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Marylebone St was bombed in the war,there are no roads there now.The only building left that were near to it are St Lukes church & the railway station.The area was rebuilt in the 60s & 70s.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the air raids make life difficult when trying to compare maps from the 19th century and now, and not just in Portsmouth.  Bristol also springs to mind.

Add to the mix the love affair with big dual carriageways, pedestrian precincts and starting all over again just for the fun of it, it's a very confused picture.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denmart18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a good map of the area from 1910 to be found at:

http://contueor.com/baedeker/great_britain/portsmouth.htm

Lines: London, Middlesex
Silvester: Hampshire - Portsmouth
Manyard: Lincolnshire - Whaplode
Bradford: Bristol, Devon, Birmingham
Heard: Devon - Totnes, Bow
Joyner: Bristol
Tack: Ostend, Belgium
Maes: Ostend, Belgium

Offline torbaynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 00:59 GMT (UK) »

Nell

Had a look at the street view of the area.Most interesting for me as I was on the building sites of some of this area,including what looks to be No2 Isambard Brunel Road ,ä building with white twin colm,s and traffic can be seen to drive under mid-way along.
About 11 well,s were found when foundations were dug for this building and the bottle was found in one of them nearest the station/railway line end.As I remember they ran in a line about the lengh of that building.
I am in New Zealand and so cannot visit the site,but street view amazing and help,s remeber thing,s.

Offline dalkey mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
The building that you drive under in Isambard Brunel road is now bedsits for students,it was as offices but now only a small part is offices.It is almost where Marylebone st was off Greetham st.