Author Topic: Ellen O'Neil/Batt/Connolly.  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Johnconone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen O'Neil/Batt/Connolly.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Sonas, I have their Marriage certificate, It states that Grandad resided at 71 Evergreen Street, and Grandma at 47 Evergreen Street this was of course in 1922, Grandad had served 21 years in the Army, his Army records state that his next of kin was his Mother Ann of 171 Evergreen Street?  To confuse things more Grandma 's Father on the Marriage Certificate is given as Michael Batt Deceased? allthough she is named as Nelly O'Neill?    Thanks once again.     John.

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
According for census your grandmothers "parents" got married in about 1883, there is a death record for a Michael Batt for 1885  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FT7R-96K I've realised through searching for my own families that the dates are flexible...

I'll ask my aunt about her own "batts" I know she said she would like to trace her own family too..

Maybe the 71 versus 171 could be a 1 wrongly added or that there were more houses added and numbers changed in time..
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Just doing a bit of looking and in 1945 Evergreen Street only went up to 82, there's a J Connolly listed for 71 on the 1945 Guys Almanac http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1945guyscitycountyalmanacanddirectory/1945pages390-493/Guys%20Cork%20Almanac%201945_p476-487.pdf

O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
There are matching references on FamilySearch for a Catherine Batt marrying a Michael O'Neill in Cork in 1882 which is well before the 1885 death of Michael Batt. I wonder if the reference on the 1922 marriage cert might just be an error with the father's first name being put together with the mother's maiden name. Perhaps contacting the South Parish and asking them to check their marriage records might help. Equally, you could look for a birth cert / baptism record for your grandmother to clarify.

I'm not sure what information you are hoping to find out about John Connolly... Is his father's name on the marriage cert? Is his date of birth / age on his service record? There is an Anne Connelly listed on the 1911 census on Evergreen St.

Offline Johnconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 February 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonas,  I agree I need my Grandmothers Birth Certificate to claryfy her Fathers name, as for the info I am looking for on  my Grandfathers side, is on his Fathero or Mother, all I know is that his name was James and he married Ann Hennerty I have this info from the individual printouts from South Parish records on the baptism record of my Grandfather John, and his brother's James and Denis James,the latter of whom I think died in his first year! I have no dates of birth or places for my Great Grandparents?.    Regards   John.

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 February 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
DO you know who the J Connolly is on the 1945 Guys Almanac? Is it your Grandfather? Have you managed to get a rough idea when they got married??

This looks like a good match of course depending on when you think they may have gotten married
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b74bb50022471 
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I wonder is this Michael Batt's marriage  http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b6ec7e0017339
Catherine O Neill would have been born about 1857
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline Johnconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 February 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loudham,    Yes the J Connolly must be my grandfather I know he lived alone on Evergreen street, he married my Grandmother in 1922.       The Connolly/Hennerty wedding you have found  looks a good match as their 3 children were born from 1881,   The Michael Batt marriage also looks right. I cannot thank you enough for your help I am thrilled.          regards         John.

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the Connolly Hennerty marriage it gives the Fathers name as James Connolly, Bantry and Denis Hennerty of some road think it looks like Douglas road....

Have  you been in to see the records in South parish church I need to go in myself too at some stage...
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)