Author Topic: Watkins family of Montgomeryshire  (Read 2905 times)

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watkins family of Montgomeryshire
« on: Monday 30 January 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents were John Watkins (b. 1856) and Jane (b.1858) who farmed at Careg-y-big, near Llanerfyl in 1881, and at Gweumyddylision, near Llanlugan until the time of Jane's death in 1890. Johns parents, Evan and Anne, also farmed at Dol-y-fardyn. near Llanlugan in the 1891 Census.

In the 1901 and 1911 Censuses, John was living at Tynyglyn Cottage, Llanfair. He died in 1921. Their eldest daughter Catherine (b.1881) (later called Kate) was my grandmother and she had siblings Evan (b.1883) John (b.1885) David (b.1887) and Annie (b.1890). If anyone reading this is a member of this family or knows anything about them, I would love to hear from them as I have reached a complete block concernng this side of my family tree.

I am also interested to find out how Catherine came to live in the Broxton, near Chester area, prior to her first marriage, and the Whitchurch, Shropshire area prior to her second  marriage to my grand-father,William Lloyd. They farmed at Tybroughton, near Whitchurch for most of their married life.

I am also anxious to find out where John and Jane, and Evan and Anne are buried.

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Watkins family of Montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi ace of spades
I see that we are both getting nowhere in our quest for information on the Watkin/s family. I have Llanerfyl
connections too - if we go back another generation we might find something in common. Are you able to reach back further than Carreg- y- big?
Best Wishes,
Lleucu

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lleucu,

Yes I do have info prior to the 1881 Census.  My great grand-father, John Watkins was born at Manafon in 1856, as were his siblings David (b. 1860), Anne (b. 1864), Mary (b.1865), Hannah (b. 1867) and Elizabeth (b. 1870). In the 1871 Wales Census they were living at Waen-y-figyn with their parents.

Also prior to this in the 1861 Wales Census, their parents Evan (b.1829 at Llanwnog) and Anne (b, 1831 at Llandinam) were living at Waen-y-figyn, Ddol Gwyn Felin.

Do any or this information correspond with you Tree.

Regards

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »

morning aceofspades

I was hoping to find a link but.... no luck as yet. All my Watkins were in Llanerfyl ( early to Mid 1800's) - of course there might have been  an escapee to Manafon who knows!
Good luck to you in your researches.
Lleucu  :)