Author Topic: FAMILYSEARCH - Old site vs New site  (Read 12359 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILYSEARCH - Old site vs New site
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

community indexed igi
The indexed data has been organized into the original collections from which it was transcribed and resides in the Historical Records system. To see a list of all collections available choose All Record Collections from the home screen. The Community Indexed search from this page searches ONLY the records that were part of the old IGI. Most of these collections have had many more records added to them. To do an exhaustive search for your ancestors you should choose to use the search form on the home screen.

community submitted igi  (coming soon  ::)  )
Added
For a short period of time duplication in the IGI was reduced by removing records from the indexed data when these records were submitted by the community. To do an exhaustive search for your ancestor you should choose to search the Community Contributed IGI and follow the process outlined on this page to determine if the record you find was part of an indexed collection.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

community indexed igi
The indexed data has been organized into the original collections from which it was transcribed and resides in the Historical Records system. To see a list of all collections available choose All Record Collections from the home screen. The Community Indexed search from this page searches ONLY the records that were part of the old IGI. Most of these collections have had many more records added to them. To do an exhaustive search for your ancestors you should choose to use the search form on the home screen.

community submitted igi  (coming soon  ::)  )
Added
For a short period of time duplication in the IGI was reduced by removing records from the indexed data when these records were submitted by the community. To do an exhaustive search for your ancestor you should choose to search the Community Contributed IGI and follow the process outlined on this page to determine if the record you find was part of an indexed collection.

::)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:14 BST (UK) »

I've hardly uttered a word, simply because I hated it and felt so very cross about them changing it.

It is an acquired taste - but once you get used to it, it's fantastic:) :) :)

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:17 BST (UK) »

::)

I'm really not sure what you mean, Ruskie. Like Pels, I've grown to really like the new site. One has to move with the times  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:18 BST (UK) »

And it's FREE !

Blimey, something for nothing and we still complain !  ;D ;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
True, tis free. However I would have liked to see the old site remain - for those of us who prefer to not move with the times. A huge amount of investment has gone into the 'refurb' - maybe they didn't need to go to so much trouble that's all.  :)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
I guess its like your favourite slippers they are so comfortable you want to keep wearing them ...but comes a time you have get a new pair and it takes a while to wear them in.
I feel like that with the new site, I was comfortable with the old search used it for years could find most things, but I do remember first time I used that I thought i would never find anything.............so guess eventually I will get used to it and we are lucky to have such a free resource I know.

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
I guess its like your favourite slippers they are so comfortable you want to keep wearing them ...but comes a time you have get a new pair and it takes a while to wear them in.
I feel like that with the new site, I was comfortable with the old search used it for years could find most things, but I do remember first time I used that I thought i would never find anything.............so guess eventually I will get used to it and we are lucky to have such a free resource I know.

sandie

You have said it perfectly Sandie!  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 July 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
It is an acquired taste - but once you get used to it, it's fantastic:) :) :)

I do agree with Pels. I much prefer it to the old site.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk