Author Topic: Alexander Wright & Margaret Black, Turriff  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Rosehill132

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Wright & Margaret Black, Turriff
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Indeed cheers flst!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks flst  :)

Never very sure with just the names and dates of death on a gravestone
Not a bad days work all  ;)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 23:31 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 Alexander & Jane are in the parish of Turriff, at a croft called Balaclava. Alexander is a crofter of 5 acres & a carter.With them are Charles, 13, Alexander,11, Jane, 8, & George,8 months old.
In 1871 Alexander's at Dubford Croft where he farms 12 acres.Aged 52, Jane is 44,Jane,18, William, 9, & Isabella, 7.
In 1891 Alexander, a widower & retired farmer is at Hill of Luncarty. Head of the household is his son in law, George Wilson. Isa, his wife, is 27. They have a daughter Jeannie, 3, & a son, George, 11 months. Also there, is Jane Wright aged 38.
Regards,
flst. :)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Rosehill132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 12 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Cheers for all the information folks.  I have looked up Alexander's 1892 death cert, and have found his parents were John Wright, Crofter, and Mary Wright (ms Brown), who obviously died in 1824.  Another step forward.....

Can anyone advise what is the best way / best websites for tracing Scottish grave inscriptions?  Also is Freecen generally acknowledged as the most comprehensive free census website source?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 12 09:52 GMT (UK) »
freeCEN coverage at the moment is mostly 1841 & 1851 , check the home page to see what's available
Local family history groups have MI(memorial inscriptions) books available
Deceased Online website(paysite) is starting to upload MI's for Scotland , also you can search for
burial dates for free(again check to see what is available)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Salsera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 00:32 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of this gravestone as Alexander Wright was my husband's great grandfather. His grandfather was William (1861-1943), the first of 3 born to Alexander & his second wife Jane Burnett.

I've hit a brick wall with Alexander's father, John, though. I don't suppose you have anything on him, do you? Ever hopeful, Chris
Wright & Burnett: Huntly; Turriff, Aberdeenshire
Whyte & Horn: Glass; Huntly
Argo & Troup, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
Gray & Walker: Ellon; Inverurie
Jones: Holywell: Holyhead; Llanllyfni, Caernarfonshire
Shelton-Jones & Manchester: Pwllheli, Caernarfonshire
Peover: Oakmere, Cheshire
Lee: Gresford, Denbighshire
Lloyd: Denbighshire; Caernarfonshire
Lewis: Harlech; Liverpool

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 09:49 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise what is the best way / best websites for tracing Scottish grave inscriptions?

If it's Aberdeenshire, the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society is the best http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php - it's not complete yet, and you have to get the full inscription from one of their booklets.

If it is the present incarnation of Moray (that is, the county of Moray minus Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie plus two-thirds of Banffshire) go for LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp - they surveyed every graveyard in 1978/9 and recorded every legible stone. It's not perfect and there are some errors but it's a very good index. Again, it doesn't give the full details of the inscription but it does give the relationships if they are on the stone.

Much better information, often including stones which were buried in 1978/9, but so far much less geographical coverage, of Moray at Moray Burial Ground Research Group http://www.mbgrg.org/

The Scottish Genealogy Society http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/ stocks pretty well all published MIs.

Also is Freecen generally acknowledged as the most comprehensive free census website source?

I would say it's the best and most accurate, but its coverage is very far from comprehensive. The 1841 is there for most of Scotland, but the 1851 is patchy. http://www.freecen.org.uk/statistics.html tells you which parishes have been done and which have not. Mostly not, I'm afraid.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Salsera,welcome to rootschat!
I'm sure Rosehill132 will be delighted to know you've got a photograph of Alexander's headstone.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Rosehill132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 October 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Indeed - would be very interested in the photo of the grave Salsera.  I'm afraid thus far I've hit the same brick wall with John Wright and Mary Brown.