Author Topic: Old Rhondda boxers  (Read 11186 times)

Offline k33fyk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rhondda boxers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 September 19 22:30 BST (UK) »
Albert Colcombe. His name was Alcwyn Colcombe, joined the welsh regiment at 15, at that age he fought in the Battle of mons earning the red star or MBE, he was boxing before this date, or so his daughter, my mum  says. In the army he fought as Corporal Albert Colcombe. He came out of the army at age 21 & turned to pro boxing Ataining 83 fights in his career The rest you know. He died in Doncaster Royal infirmary on the 25. 03. 59. He left behind 5 children. Roland Raymond Cynwyn Beatrice & derick. A little bit of info here. Jimmy Wild was the world Champion, fought out of the same town, he wouldnt fight my grandad, but avoided him. They locked horns outside of a pub, my grandad beat him then knocked him out, & that seems to be the end of Albert Colcombe.

Offline k33fyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 14:13 BST (UK) »
Albert Colcombe. DOB. 01/01/1899 His name was Alcwyn Colcombe, joined the welsh regiment at 15, at that age he fought in the Battle of mons earning the red star or MBE, he was boxing before this date, or so his daughter, my mum  says. In the army he fought as Corporal Albert Colcombe. He came out of the army at age 21 as a pro boxer from age 18  Ataining 83 fights in his career The rest you know. He died in Doncaster Royal infirmary on the 25. 03. 59. He left behind 6 children. Ralph. Roland Raymond Cynwyn Beatrice & Derick. A little bit of info here. Jimmy Wild was the world Champion, fought out of the same town, he wouldnt fight my grandad, but avoided him. They locked horns outside of a pub, my grandad beat him then knocked him out, & that seems to be the end of Albert Colcombe. Anyone have anymore info or pictures would be nice

Offline k33fyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
Albert Colcombe. DOB 01/01/1899. His name was Alcwyn Colcombe, joined the welsh regiment at 15, at that age he fought in the Battle of mons earning the red star or MBE, he was boxing before this date, or so his daughter, my mum  says. In the army he fought as Corporal Albert Colcombe. He came out of the army at age 21 & turned to pro boxing at age 18 Ataining 83 fights in his career The rest you know. He died in Doncaster Royal infirmary on the 25. 03. 59. He left behind 6 children. Ralph.Roland Raymond Cynwyn Beatrice & derick. A little bit of info here. Jimmy Wild was the world Champion, fought out of the same town, he wouldnt fight my grandad, but avoided him. They locked horns outside of a pub, my grandad then knocked him out. If anyone has any pictures, it would be nice finaly see him.