Author Topic: Hammonds family - Bristol  (Read 1213 times)

Offline fidgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hammonds family - Bristol
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has any of the Hammonds family in their tree. Alfred J hammonds was my Great, Great Grandfather and was born in 1832. His father was James b.1808. From my research they seem to have been a large Bristol family and worked in the Accountancy, Commercial clerk and Pawn broker businesses.
Anne

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Hammonds family - Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Alfred James HAMMONDS, son of James & Elizabeth, baptised at Temple, Bristol, 4th September 1831.
James HAMMONDS married Elizabeth WHITTAKER at Temple, Bristol, 18th November 1830, both of this parish.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Colin Eade

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 22 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  James Hammonds was my 3 x gt grandfather, as I am descended from his son Frederick Charles Hammonds (born c 1836).  Have you managed to find a birth for him?  I appreciate that the post is from many years ago, but please let me know if you have got any further back.  Thanks.  Colin

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »

Not sure if this is any use....

If you Google:

James HAMMONDS Bristol (on Google Books)

In the Year 1891

There is a page about indentures of lease and re-lease dated the 22nd and 23 November 1836 - then re-lease being made between Ann WHITTAKER the elder on the first past, John WALKER and Martha his wife, William BERRYMAN and Mary his wife, James HAMMONDS and Elizabeth his Wife etc. etc. 

It's quite an article.

Also there's a Bristol Directory 1863

HAMMOND Mrs Freelove, Alfred House, 16 Richmond Hill
HAMMONDS James, pawnbroker, 10 St James's Barton
HAMMONDS P/ attorney, 30 Broad Street
HAMMONDS William Thomas, 33 Richmond terrace, Clifton

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
As  Bristol was a Port, checked the website on the net.   Legacies of British Slavery.

There is a William HAMMONDS listed, debt: 25 October 1809 - which mentions William HAMMONDS merchant of Bristol, but resident in Kingston.  He seems to die in Kingston 1825 ....

---

Bristol Newspapers on Line - 12 July 1860 - Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette ....  talks about Wiltshire Archers  and National Rifle Competition  and mentions a Lieutenant  HAMMONDS, Bristol Rifles, 10 points.  He is in other newspaper articles, in one of them he was £10 and a silver medal (Bristol Rifle Corp)

---

Again Google Books, Bristol Poll Book  1841

HAMMONDS W.T.  Gentleman, Paul Street