Author Topic: Michael McDonald born Carlow c1806  (Read 9860 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael McDonald born Carlow c1806
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find information on my great great grandfather Michael McDonald, born 1806 in Carlow. He married Btidget Doyle from Kilkenny in 1841 in Bagnelstown. They had 2 children Mary in 1842 and Catherine my great grandmother in 1846 and sometime between 1851 and 1861 they moved to London.

Is there anyway I can find where in Co Carlow my ancestor was born or ar there any relatives out there who are looking at the same family. I have a possible brother Thomas born 1798 who moved to London earlier than Michael, but the families appear quite close on all the Census records up to and including 1911.

Many thanks

David

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McDonald born Carlow c1806
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The place to start the search is with English records to see if you can establish a more detailed location for your McDonald family - ideally you need to know which town, townland or parish they lived in. You also need to know what denomination the family were so you can check if church records are available for the dates you require. Note that few parishes have records back as far as 1806.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shana

I have been looking for 15 years, I have even been to Bagnelstown church and the Marriage entry gives no clue as to where he might have come from and the 1861/1871 census just show born in Carlow. Like a lot of immigrants who ofter just put Ireland on the Census as to where he was born. His wife just puts Kilkenny on her entry.Kind Regards

David ;)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi David not sure if this is any help or same family but i found this info a while back whilst tracin or trying to trace! my 5x Grt Grandfather Denis McDonald
Dunleckney cemetery Co Carlow
Erected by Denis McDonald for his Father Edward headstone late of Augha Died April 8th 1973 aged 67 years
im goin to add a topic on here see if anyone can add any more to this McDonald family i think ive successfully traced my line back to Dublin with Denis born 1788 but as he was a fisherman and he married and settled in Newlyn Cornwall in 1807 im thinking would County Carlow and the above area be more likely for my Denis as he would have been fishing between Ireland and Cornwall?names in my line are Denis, Owen, John ,William ,Barney etc Id hate to think im tracing wrong people like i say the above may not be your line i just thought id add it to see if the names are familiar ill add me own topic and info over the weekend but if you have come across any of the above mentioned id be interested to know All the best Duncan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Denis born 1788 but as he was a fisherman and he married and settled in Newlyn Cornwall in 1807 im thinking would County Carlow and the above area be more likely for my Denis as he would have been fishing between Ireland and Cornwall?

I'm not sure I get this bit of your post  - Carlow is an inland county - no coastline.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
I'd agree with what Shane says and also, are there documented instances of fishing between Ireland and Cornwall this far back? It seems a long way to go between fishing grounds and much fishing would have been done in fairly basic boats at the time I would guess.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Yeah i know what your saying maybe im right with the link to Dublin im just looking at the Denis McDonald link as the only 2 credible ones i have are County Carlow and St Andrews parish Dublin townsend rd which i think is 99 per cent right id thought id check tho as Denis McDonald Ireland or Owen MDonald Ireland isnt that common in ireland at the given dates so when it came up again i thougt itd be worth looking up    Im just looking at all possible scenarios but i can  assure that there was trade in fishing between Cornwall and Ireland mainly herring Fishing back then they wernt using rowing boats! How do you think the Spanish armada arrived in Cornwall or the people arrived in americas paddled?,theres always been a long history of links between Cornwall and ireand via fishing even with Cornish fishermen setting up bases in Dublin ive done me homework if you aint dont reply im not after a history lesson just trying to trace me fam before people start the old oh i dont think so sorry to sound harsh but im after advice not negativity how else if there werent fishing boats travelling between Ireland asnd Cornwall back then would 2 whole generations of my family from Ireland come to be in Cornwall?surfboard maybe?the theory may even be they left County Carlow and moved near the sea?i only posted to see if David recognisedany of the names in my tree or maybe the headstone info was of any use to him all to often on this site i find people who are too willing to poo poo everything without offering any help like i say i was only asking.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Yeah i know what your saying maybe im right with the link to Dublin im just looking at the Denis McDonald link as the only 2 credible ones i have are County Carlow and St Andrews parish Dublin townsend rd which i think is 99 per cent right id thought id check tho as Denis McDonald Ireland or Owen MDonald Ireland isnt that common in ireland at the given dates so when it came up again i thougt itd be worth looking up    Im just looking at all possible scenarios but i can  assure that there was trade in fishing between Cornwall and Ireland mainly herring Fishing back then they wernt using rowing boats! How do you think the Spanish armada arrived in Cornwall or the people arrived in americas paddled?,theres always been a long history of links between Cornwall and ireand via fishing even with Cornish fishermen setting up bases in Dublin ive done me homework if you aint dont reply im not after a history lesson just trying to trace me fam before people start the old oh i dont think so sorry to sound harsh but im after advice not negativity how else if there werent fishing boats travelling between Ireland asnd Cornwall back then would 2 whole generations of my family from Ireland come to be in Cornwall?surfboard maybe?the theory may even be they left County Carlow and moved near the sea?i only posted to see if David recognisedany of the names in my tree or maybe the headstone info was of any use to him all to often on this site i find people who are too willing to poo poo everything without offering any help like i say i was only asking.

I wasn't being negative if you are referring to me. I was asking a question and to be honest much of your post comes across as plain rude. How is anyone but you to know how much research you have done?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
Yeah i know what your saying maybe im right with the link to Dublin im just looking at the Denis McDonald link as the only 2 credible ones i have are County Carlow and St Andrews parish Dublin townsend rd

when you say that you have found "only 2 credible" Denis McDonalds it's vital to remember that there are very few parishes that have records back as far as the 1780s - particularly those for rural RC churches, so it's quite likely there is no written record of 'your' Denis.

Shane
My Surname Interests