Author Topic: 1901 Census Look-Up Offer  (Read 10217 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1901 Census Look-Up Offer
« on: Friday 13 May 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
I am willing to look up information on families from Limerick, it will be a lot easier if you have a parish or town land along with the names as the records are all on microfiche in the local library.
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 CENSUS LOOK-UP OFFER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, Sharon

Is your offer to do a look up in the 1901 census for Limerick still available?

I am new to research in Ireland.  I have had a little success with my husband's family but I have had a lot of help from kind people.

I would like to make some progress on my family.

I wondered if it were possible, or worthwhile, looking up my Great Grandfather, Patrick Joseph Morrissey/Morrisey.

He was apparently born 11 July 1888 possibly in Rathkeale, Limerick. He joined up in Tralee, Kerry on 11 October 1906 and went out to the East Indies in 1908. His trade had been listed as 'overseer'. What does this mean? Is it something to do with Workhouses? He lived in/travelled through the East Indies, Turkey, India, Mespot. and Burma. He died in Calcutta, India in 1940 still serving in the Army.
He married Eileen Mangan in 1915 in Rangoon. They had 8 Children. They came to England in 1948. I am interested in tracing Patrick Joseph Morrissey's parents, who according to his attestation papers were Thomas and Mary.

Patrick would have been 13 years old in 1901 so I presume may be living with his parents Thomas and Mary. 

Do you think it would be worthwhile to check the 1901 census and is there any other advise you can give me?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Rachel ???
Arnold, Ault, Blakeway, Bradbury, Bromley, Buckley, Bunce, Cussen, Dell, Didlock, Fairbairn, Fairburn, Gittins, Gittus, Hanson, James, Joy, Lea, Madden, Mangan, Mitchell, Morrissey, Mottram, Packer, Pitt(s), Povey, Sharp, Southall, Tuck, Turner, Wood

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Look-Up Offer
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 11:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rachel, I couldn't find him in Rathkeale, the only Thomas Morrissy in Rathkeale would have been too young to be his father, Thomas was 30 and was married to Ellen 28.
Next time I'm in the local family history centre I'll look for Patrick's birth to confirm his parents. (The BMD index for Ireland are available from family history centres)
Sharon

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
If you are still offering to do co.Limerick look-ups, please would you look for the following for me in the 1901 census:

BAILEY family: Kilbehenny parish: townlands of Coolboy, Carhue (Carrow) etc.

I have already seen the film which has the townlands of Behanagh, Brackbawn, Carrigeen, etc etc etc, but I think there is another film which covers the other townlands in Kilbehenny, which I never got to see.
I would be interested in any mention of Baileys in any context; it is possible they may turn up in one of several townlands in the parish, not just the two I mention I above. Sorry if this is too time consuming for you.

Thank you so much for your time, and if no luck with this, don't worry!

Regards
Margaret
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline lana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sharon

Thank you so much for your kindness in looking my family up in the Rathkeale records.

I have not looked at this family for years so I thought I would get my folder out and see if there is anything I have missed.

In 1920 Patrick Joseph Morrissey gave his full address as

26 Bowman Street, Limerick. 

I find this strange as I know he left Ireland in 1906 and it does appear from his military records that he returned. 

On another document dated 1913 when he was in Rangoon to the Question
'Born in the Parish of' he writes St Michaels
'near the Town of' Limerick
'in the County of' Limerick. 
It states on this document that he was Attested at Rathkeale on 11 October 1906 although other documents say he attested at Tralee.

I am sure I read somewhere that he was an overseer (whatever that means) but I can't put my hand on it at the moment.

I would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

I note that you are researching family from England, if you need any help please let me know.  Although my area of 'expertise' is more in Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Birmingham.  We do like to take holidays in Cornwall.  So please let me know.

Kind Regards
Rachel
Arnold, Ault, Blakeway, Bradbury, Bromley, Buckley, Bunce, Cussen, Dell, Didlock, Fairbairn, Fairburn, Gittins, Gittus, Hanson, James, Joy, Lea, Madden, Mangan, Mitchell, Morrissey, Mottram, Packer, Pitt(s), Povey, Sharp, Southall, Tuck, Turner, Wood

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 05 16:58 BST (UK) »
I think an "overseer" would just mean a supervisor I don't think it would be associated with a particular trade or industry unless other wise stated.
I just checked the Limerick city trade directory, which is on-line at http://www.limerickcorp.ie/webapps/TradesReg/Search.aspx but there was no sign of either Patrick or his father. I can check the electoral roles in the library for Bowman Street for 1923 (this is the earliest electoral role for the city) to see if there were any Morrissey's there.
Unfortunately the Attestion records which although they hold a great deal of information don't usually help to determine the place of birth, as I know from my own ggrandfather who was attested in Ennis Co.Clare although he was born in Templemore Co. Tipperary and his family lived in Limerick at the time of his attestion.
St. Michael's might be a good clue as there is a Bowman's Street in St. Michaels Parish. I just checked the head's of households for St.Michaels parish there are 2 Morrissey's but would have to check the films to see if there anything to your ones, here's the index for the parish
http://www.from-ireland.net/censabstracts/lim/1901/glentworth.htm

Sharon

Offline lana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sharon

I am grateful for the help.

Kind Regards
Rachel :D

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 05 17:17 BST (UK) »
checked the electoral roles, looks like all the Morrissey's got out of Bowman's street by 1923, what a pity.

Offline lana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, Sharon

Thanks for looking. I had a feeling these lot were going to be a nice brick wall for me to work on.  I guess that's the fun of it - it would be boring if it were easy.   ::)

Regards
Rachel