Author Topic: 1901 Census Look-Up Offer  (Read 10216 times)

Offline adareallens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Look-Up Offer
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharon,

If your kind offer is still open then I would greatly appreciate some help. My father is the youngest of 12 children who were all born between the early 1920s and 1938 in Adare, county Limerick. All bar two of the 12 are now living in England and they do not know too much about their own parents. It is my father's birthday in a few days and if I could have some information I know that he would greatly appreciate it. My paternal grandmother was from Dublin, but my grandfather's family were born in Limerick.

My grandfather would have been born at some point around 1900 - possibly just before. So he would be in the 1901 (and possibly 1911) census. The family lived at Stonehall, which my father told me was in the parish of Kildimo, but some research on the web shows it to be in Kilcornan (recent changes, or an error on my part?). His name was George Allen, and he certainly had a brother, Michael. But how old were they all? Were there other children? Where did they live, exactly? And, most importantly, what were the parents called? If I could find this out then I may well make the trip over (as long as I know it wouldn't be wasted!).

Any information that you could glean for me would be most helpful.

Many thanks
Mark Allen.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 05 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
Unfortunately your out of luck there, the entire reel that contains Stonehall is missing from 1901.
I'll check the 1911 tomorrow, it is on cd and the archivist (who wasn't there today) needs to access it for me.
Fingers crossed
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adareallens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 05 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, that is very disappointing. But thanks again for trying. If you could find out whether it is just the reel that is missing, or whether there is no reel because the original has not survived I would be very grateful. 1911 may help, but to be honest I do not know whether the family were still in Stonehall at that date. But worth a try!

Thanks again

Mark.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 November 05 11:54 GMT (UK) »
It was missing from the library collection I'm not sure whether there is another copy of it available somewhere, but they never had it.
The archivist wasn't there again this morning so it will be next week before I can get to check the 1911 for you.
Sharon

Offline adareallens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 November 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh well, thanks for trying anyway. I have emailed the National Archives of Ireland to see whether they will tell me if it exists. I have to say that normally one would find a reference somewhere if it had been lost, so I hope that it is just the local copy that has gone astray. I would still appreciate it if you could quickly check 1911, though, once you get the chance.

Best wishes

Mark Allen.

Offline pjk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 November 05 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would greatly appreciate a lookup.  I am researching McCormack/ick of Adare and Gleesons of Adare and Limerick City/Irishtown - Garvey's Range.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 November 05 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Mark, couldn't find them in stonewall in 1911.

pjk, I can get you the record later on today for the two Gleeson families on Garvey's range.

Sharon

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 November 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
62/19/12
Garvey's Range.
Patrick Gleeson, Head, Catholic, Read and Write, 31, Married, Painter, Limerick City.
Catherine Gleeson, Wife, Catholic, Read and Write, 29, Married, Machinest, Limerick City.
John Joe Gleeson, Son, Catholic, Read, 5, Scholar, Limerick city.
Patrick Gleeson, Son, Catholic, cannot read, 3 1/2, Limerick city.
Mary McMahon, sister-in-law, catholic, read and write, 13, scholar, Limerick city.
Ellen McMahon, Mother-in-law, catholic, cannot read, 60, widow, limerick city.

62/19/14
Garvey's Range
Martin Gleeson, Head, Catholic Read only, 70, Married, Car owner, Co. Tipperary.
Bridget Gleeson, wife, Catholic Read and write, 65, Married, co. Limerick.
John Gleeson, son, Catholic read and write, 33, unmarried, Barber, Limerick city.
Martin Gleeson, Son, catholic, Read and write, 29, unmarried, Labourer, Limerick city.
Ellie Gleeson, daughter, catholic, Read and write, 24, unmarried, Dressmaker, Limerick city.
Joe Gleeson, son, catholic read and write, 24, unmarried, general labourer, Limerick city.
Ellen Howard, sister-in-law, catholic, read and write, 67, unmarried, co. limerick.

I hope this helps
Sharon   

Offline pjk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 November 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Wow, wow, wow!

Thank you very much!  It helps me incredibly.
When it says car owner, Tipperary - is that Martin Gleeson's occupation in Tipperary - like a chauffeur, or taxi service?

Were there any McCormack's in Adare that you saw?  Is Adare a section of its own on the census?  I noticed you were researching McCormack's- do any of your have British Military History?  That's how I was able to link these families.

Thank you tremendously, I sincerely appreciate your time.