Author Topic: HOME GUARD The Gritt/ Marsh , Shropshire  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOME GUARD The Gritt/ Marsh , Shropshire
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
Does anyone have any old photographs of the HOME GUARD from the second War from around THE WHITE GRITT area? This can sometimes be called The MARSH and comes under Minsterley district, but it is near Pennerley, The bog and Hyssington.
My Grandad -Joshua Hill  (1884-1962) was in the Home Guard . (He served in the first WW.) I have seen an old photo of the Stiperstones Home Guard, but this was not Grandad's unit. Any info on this group of the H.G would be fantastic.
 Thanks
Jan
Completed
Bowden, Perks, Hill, Powell, Davies, Morgan, Bowen, Morris, Oliver, Hudson, Mottershead, Wenham, Tingey, Bennett, Smout, Mantle, Hughes, Kidson, Simpson.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOME GUARD The Gritt/ Marsh , Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
There's a little about the Shropshire Home Guard here, although I 'm not sure it covers the area you need - however, it looks as though they're hoping to add more, so may be worth bookmarking.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
                                                                                                                                                                  Hello, there is a little about the Home Guard in an area of Shropshire not far from White Grit
in a book called "Never on a Sunday".Snailbeach may be the group in a large photograph in the book , but I`m not certain, it just says "Local H.G.Group"
Published by Scenesetters. Bucknell .Shropshire.SY7 OAL ISBN .1-874200-10-6.
The Shropshire Mines Trust supported the venture.
There is a centre in what was formerly The Bog school which houses photographs and archive material. I am not sure of opening times during the winter months but it is well worth a visit and has lovely refreshments when it is open.
Hope you are successful. Viktoria

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

This a little site that is sometimes overlooked, when it comes to our local areas,

Although I cant see your G dad  at a quick glance it will give you an insight as to what was going on in the local area in the time scale,

Just enter Snailbeach in the search the archives box,

www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/

Best of luck
Pete :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU so much to everyone who has replied to my query and the very interesting web site information  etc. I shall enjoy looking through it all.
Best Wishes Jan
Bowden, Perks, Hill, Powell, Davies, Morgan, Bowen, Morris, Oliver, Hudson, Mottershead, Wenham, Tingey, Bennett, Smout, Mantle, Hughes, Kidson, Simpson.

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 12 03:03 GMT (UK) »
http://www.lulu.com/ - there are quite a few photos of military on this site.

Also try a search for [home guard] here:

http://archives.shropshire.gov.uk/

If it is working, which it isn't at present.

Failing that, I think the best place to find a photo would be in a newspaper. A photo of my grand-father's home guard reg.t, Bettws Cedewain, was published in one of the Powys newspapers. Though this is obv. a big trawl. There will no doubt be people in the area who have a photo of them.

Offline Janice123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those ideas David.  I think I will contact the Archives , as they have been really helpful in the past!
The Newspaper idea is also good, as someone once found a fantastic old photo of my family in a news paper and gave it to me.  Not quite sure where to start with that one, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Many Thanks
Jan
Completed

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The Bettws Cedewain home guard photo appears in The Montgomeryshire Express in November 1940. I don't know if there could be reason for other home guards to appear in newspapers at that time?

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
As a further note, the most likely period you will be likely to find a photo of this guard in the papers is before they/some are to be sent off to war.