Author Topic: Robert Allan Shoe Shop Edinburgh  (Read 11553 times)

Offline fortiter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Allan Shoe Shop Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Monica, Hibee and Jessie for your help.

10 Minto St was definitely Robert Allan's address (I have photos of him there, although I think the house may be numbered to a different street now).  As there is a reference to J&R Allan in the PO Directory at this address, then J & R Allan must be the business I am looking for.   I don't know where the idea I had that there was a"Robert Allan Shoe Shop" came from and there seems to be no evidence that my Robert Allan had such a business.  Robert's brother William also had a successful drapery business in Wellington, New Zealand - a far cry from a father and grandfather who were blacksmiths.

Jonathan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Every generation hopefully goes on to bigger and better as they look to have in your family  :)

I am curious about the J in the 'J & R Allan' but haven't been able to find any reference to the J other than he must have been male (I had a wild notion, for those times, that it might have been his wife Jessie but not to be!) I did see it referred to in something I saw yesterday as Messrs. J & R Allan.

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I remember J & R Allan shop at South Bridge, it was an up-market shop, my mother used to haul me thriugh it with my sisters. I seem to remember there was a shoe shop, could be James Allan bootmakers further up, possibly in Nicholson Street, maybe there was a connection there. The shop was just past the Causewayside junction, on the opposite side from the Odeon cinema.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »

There was a shoe shop on the corner of  Nicolson Street just passed the La Scala picture house it was the Co-op ("Store")gents shoe shop just past it was their shop which sold everything clothes , electrical goods -- etc.

Cheers,
Jessie

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

It was the block after the Co-op, in St Patrick Street, just passed East Crosscauseway. I was in Street view, and I think it maybe where Boots the Chemist is now.

Tom

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 February 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello there Tom,
                          Spending a few days with friend we are all originally from the Edinburgh area --- you set us all of last night trying to remember the names not of shoe shops but of all the shop from the Co-op gents shop I'll tell you we had some fun .
We cannot remember what was opposite the gents shoe shop where there is a jewellers now at one corner
of East Crosscauseway we think was a Burrows wool shop opposite was Findlays the chemist the next corner
was the foot of Rankeillor Street there was an ironmongers shop (part of Grays of George Street) opposite
was another chemists - then the next street corner was Montague Street one corner was Rankins the other we cannot remember what was there,
The shoe shops we can remember were Trueform, Timpsons , Easiphit and Carrs (they at one time had a warehouse at the Geological place in Gilmerton Road ) and Bairds
One shop I do remember however which was right opposite the New Victoria(0deon) was Woods the jewellers as that is where my engagement ring was purchased in the early 1960's
One last thing Tom can you remember all the rows of chickens being roasted as you went through J&R's food hall I can still smell them yet .
So come on all you folk from the area please can you help us.
Sorry I know this is not geneology but it is still a wee bit of history.
Cheers,
Jessie

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 February 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

The roasting chickens in the food hall...oh yes, maybe that is why we were hauled through the shop.  I agree that this has went a wee bit off topic, apologies to all, my fault.

I remember all the shops you mention, both my sisters worked in Bairds the Bootmakers in South Bridge opposite the Tron.

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 February 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Sure all of this will add some colour to Jonathan's query on his great uncle's store  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 February 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes it certainly will Monica -- it was a super  food hall as it was called -- these rotisseries with dear

knows how many chickens on each rod  and the smell made you hungry when you walked through it.

10, Minto Street is still there they were large detached villas .

I hope Jonathon has gained from this as I can tell you we had great fun trying to remember everything last

night.

Thanks Monica you really are a star  :)
Cheers

Jessie