Author Topic: Richards in Llanerchymedd.  (Read 27202 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richards in Llanerchymedd.
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the forebears of my G4 grandparents.
John Richards, B 26.10.1760. / D 03.1832 (Vicar in Llanerchymedd) Married to Ann Richards, (nee Parry), B 1777, D 1850.
  Both were born in Llanerchymedd. Any info' would be both amazing, and helpful!
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richards in Llanerchymedd.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Are you a member of Ancestry?

There is a tree on there that says -

John Richard (26/10/1760 -3/1832) and Ann Parry (1777-20/3/1860) with ten children - all born Llanerchymedd - Robert, Elizabeth, Michael,  John, Ann, Mary, Catherine, Jane, Richard and Margaret.

Is this the family? 

If so Ann Parry's forebears seem to be -

Michael Parry (1748-20/8/1813) born Plas Llanfair, Mathafarneithaf, and Ann Owen (1752-1816) born Bodwrdin, both died in Llangwyllog. Three children Catherine, Elizabeth, and Ann.

Richard Parry (1702-17/5/1755) - born at Pendref and Ann Davies (1710-21/1/1784) - born Plas Llangwyfan. Seven children - Ann, Mary, Perry, Richard, Owen, Michael, and John

Owen Parry (1675-14/4/1732) - born and died at Pendref, Rhodogeidio, Llanmerchymedd and Margaret Evans (1676-27/4/1731) - born Ty Mawr, Llanynghenedl. Seven children - Richard, Perry, Mary, Barbara, Margaret, William and Owen.

Thomas Parry (died 1722) and Heiress Pendref. Three children John, Richard and Owen.

There seem to be more details but am now on my way out.

I'm sure this will whet your appetite.

Alan

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for your detailed reply and yes, my appetite knows no bounds!
I have a brother that is researching the male line of the Richards family: he may well be a member of Ancestry. He has sent me the basic tree but seems to have come to a dead end with John Richards, B 1760, hence my inquiry.  Is it possible to find out who his parents were? How far back do records go for the Anglesey area and where are they held?
 I live in Sweden but I'm visiting the UK in April. John and Ann had ten children and I'm one of twelve...there must be hundreds of relatives out there ...what a task!
         Viking.  (Minus 19C here).
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Most family trees in Anglesey seem to come to an end around the 1750/1770 time but if you are very lucky sometime you are able to take them back further.

One source is Anglesey Archives (see www.anglesey.gov.uk/leisure/records-and-archives) and other information can be obtained from the local family history society (www.gwyneddfhs.org). Both have parish information and publications which can sometimes help to verify details.

The FamilySearch.org web site can also reveal some gems.

The tree I have seen doesn't show any parentage for John Richard and it is most unusual to be able go back as far back as the 1600's.

I am of the opinion you have to look for evidence to ensure the details are valid but a good starting point is to contact the tree owner - hence my question if you are a member of Ancestry.

Perhaps a discussion with your brother would be helpful to assess what to do next?

Alan

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Yes, I think that my brother and I should get our heads together in April: both of us are well past our " sell by date" but you never can tell what Lady Luck has in store for us. In the meantime, I have forwarded your comments and we'll work out some plan of attack.
  Thank you for your invaluable assistance in this matter ... should anything else come to light, I''ll get in touch.
 Regards, Viking.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 12 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A further thought that will help you to validate the details.

On the National Library of Wales website (www.llgc.org.uk) they have Probate Wills on line prior to 1858 and you can buy copies from them.

Having checked, under the Bangor 1576-1858 Diocese,  there are wills there for -

Michael Parry - 1813
Ann Parry - 1819 (Tyn Llan, Llangwyllog)
Richard Parry - 1755 (Penydre, Rhodogeidio)
Owen Parry - 1732 (Bryngwallan, Rhodogeidio)

The information given is a good source for family historians and I think you may have a great deal of reading to do!!

Kind regards

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is also a will for John Richards -1833 on the same National Library of Wales site.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Some more information that may help you to track down John Richards forebears.

On the National Library of Wales site I can see that there is a Marriage Bond entry for the marriage between Anne Parry of Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf AGY and John Richards which took place at Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf on 3 August 1796 - Reference is A, B. 29/84.

The cross entry for John Richards says he is a clerk from Llaneugrad, AGY - maybe the marriage records might have details of John's father and his occupation.

In addition, having just "Googled" John Richards from Llaneugrad - I have found under Michael Richards b1798 from Llanerch-y-medd, Amwlch, Anglesey(one of John's sons) a family tree that seems to offer lots of details with various reference books to verify details, including the well known - Griffiths, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families. Also mentioned is Wales, Welsh Medieval Database Primarily of Nobility and Gentry.

This all seems to suggest John was born Ystradmeurig, Gwnnws, Cardiganshire about 15 miles from the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth and not in Anglesey.

See what you can make of this!!

Alan

Offline gethdaf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
you are enquiring abouy my great great great grandfather you can email me at * look forward to hearing from you.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php