Author Topic: Richards in Llanerchymedd.  (Read 27203 times)

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richards in Llanerchymedd.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 March 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

One other thought,which is puzzling me -

If your "Richards" family roots were in Llanerchymedd, why would John Richards at the time of his marriage in 1796 to Anne Parry say he was from Llaneugrad?

i know they are close to each other but why wouldn't the marriage bond say Llanerchymedd?

Alan

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 March 12 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Back to you - the 22 Oct 1834 entry says Barbara Prichard a spinster. He can't have married in 1834 if he was born in 1836.

Alan

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 March 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tall-Al,
              Apologies from Sweden. The Robert I quoted was the son of Robert and Barbara, it should have read c 15th April, 1796. His first marriage, to Ann didn't produce an heir; the marriage to Barbara produced the son and heir, Robert, thus there is a continuous line of heirs named Robert going back 40 steps. (An heir seemed to have been most important, even in those days of the 1800s).
  I am still looking into the place called Parciau, where John Richards son, Michael, was in residence. Parciau is a substantial estate, and if the Rev. was the previous owner, along with his mystery parents, then, when he married, he would have given his place of abode as Llaneugrad. Parciau lies in the parish of Llaneugrad. There is an extensive collection of documents called " the Parciau Papers' deposited somewhere ... I'd love to get my hands on them.
 Another minor mystery concerning the Rev. John is that when he was the vicar of Llanerchymedd, the church fell into disrepair and was badly attended. After he died the place was extensively repaired and refurbished.
                       There we are ... behind every mistake there lies yet another mystery. We'll get there in the end!
                                               Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 March 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

It's not easy in Wales particularly when some names are quite common, it becomes very confusing.

I think this situation applies for Robert Bulkeley as in the 1841 census there are two -

One in Llanfechell, a farmer from Llanbadrig (married to Ann with 4 children Ann, Elizabeth, Thomas and Catherine) Robert and Ann are both still alive in 1881.

The other is in Llanfachreth married to Barbara, a man of independent means, with 3 children (Robert, Richard and Theophilus).

Theophilus was born in Anglesey in 1840 with the BMD reference being Sept Qtr 1840 Vol 27 Page 354. 

I tend to think that the two families have become intertwined in error and the only way to establish the truth is to get hold of the birth certificate for Theoophilus (Robert and Barbara's offspring) and see if the mothers maiden name is Richards. I suspect it would show it to be Prichard)

My thoughts are that the two marriages are of different people - the farmer married Ann  in 1823 and the man of independent means married Barbara Prichard in 1834.

Alan

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 March 12 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hei Tall-Al,
                I've had yet another look, and my info seems to be correct. Robert and Barbara had 5 children;

Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 March 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
the children were:

Robert William Hughes Bulkeley
        Richard Pritchard Broadhead Bulkeley
        Theophilus Bulkeley
        John and another unknown child.
 Don't forget that the first wife's maiden name was Pritchard but they had no children. All of the above children have their mother as Barbara Richards, father John, Publican of Llanddeusant. This Bulkeley line have lived at Gronant since it was built in c1500, the first occupant being yet another Robert Bulkeley.
 There is no record that I can see for the other Bulkeley family in this bloodline, and they were very meticulous in their record-keeping. There was a branch living in Croes Fechan, Llanfechell, but I would need to go through the dozens of pages of the Bulkeley family tree to find them. (I have them there in the 1500s).
        That's it for now....sorry for the split post .. I have a Russian keyboard.
                                                               Peter.

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I am still of the opinion that Robert Bulkeley married Barbara Prichard and not Barbara Richards.

There are suggestions that the marriage was to Barbara Richards but  only "submissions" on Family Search and other sites with absolutely nothing to back it up.

However there is hard evidence to prove the marriage was to Barbara Prichard as not only is this shown on the National Library of Wales site but also on FamilySeach.org where the details are "extracted" from the parish details - Batch No M056311 Source Call No 0104519.

I cannot see any actual proof that any Robert Bulkeley married a Barbara Richards, but as I said the only way to actually prove it is to get hold of one of the children's birth certificates and see what was the mothers maiden name.

Nevertheless it still doesn't help trace the ancestors of Rev John Richards and my current thinking is that if he had his roots in Llanerchymedd as you hope, and him being from a reasonably "wealthy" background as per his will, you might have expected some family wills (as per Anne Parry) to exist - I can't see any.

Until something more concrete can be found and proved I think the background of Rev John Richards will remain a bit of a mystery.

Alan

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 March 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hei Tall-Al
               Yes, I think that positive accounts of the Rev. John Richards may not exist. Just this morning I came across a note that ..."Rev. John Richards, born Ystradmeurig, Gwnnws... moved to Anglesey c1792. It is thought that he is related to the Richards family of Ystradmeurig." Census shows that his first 3 children were born in Llanfair-methafarn-eithaf so he lived there for a few years after his marriage to Ann, rather than Llanerchymedd itself. There is a St Mary's church in Lanfair M E and it may be that he was the minister there, (I note that the church is sometimes referred to as St. Mary's, Llanerchymedd.) Still, the exercise was well worth the effort and now I'm poring through the Diaries of the Bulkeley from Llanfechell ... "Bulkeley, visiting from Gronant, after a bout of drinking and merriment with the widow, was found dead in bed this morning."
 The Reverend John Richards, of no known abode or extraction, may safely be allowed to rest in peace.
  Thank you for your interest and invaluable expertise.
                                                                                      Peter

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 March 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

A final thought on the Robert and Barbara marriage - they had a child in 1844 evidently named Barbara Prichard Lewis Bulkeley.

Strange name if the mother was a "Richards" don't you think?