Author Topic: PHILLIPS from England to Newfoundland, Canada  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Nora276

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PHILLIPS from England to Newfoundland, Canada
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm researching my PHILLIPS family ancestry and not having much luck! This is my first time on this site for my research. My name is Nora PHILLIPS, second youngest of twelve to Michael Cyril PHILLIPS  & Carmel Frances (Whelan) Phillips, Colliers, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. My parents & their siblings are deceased.

> Grandfather John Thomas PHILLIPS was born (still not sure exactly where my Grandfather was born?) in Colliers, Newfoundland, Canada - found his baptism record as follows - Roman Catholic Parish of St. Peter & St. Paul, Harbour Main, Newfoundland, Canada...Parents names: John PHILLIPS & Ellen McGRATH;  Date of Baptism: 20 October 1881.

>>>My GGrandfather John PHILLIPS - DOB:  February ?, 1851(2); DOD: ????; married *Ellen (McGRATH) PHILLIPS; her DOB: March ?, 1850(1). {*I'm not positive regarding my GGrandmother's birth details but was told she was from Colliers, Newfoundland but was born in Scotland 1850}.

>> GGrandparents John & Ellen PHILLIPS children listed as: William DOB: 1878/DOD: ????; James A. DOB: 1880/DOD ???? and *John DOB: 1881/DOD: 1968 @ Colliers, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada.

**I did find the following at the England & Wales Census, 1881.....

John PHILLIPS, age 29, birth year: 1852, birth place: Battersea, Surrey, England, wife: Ellen; children: William, age 3 and James A., age 1 ... *my Grandfather, John, not listed.  GGrandfather's occupation: candle packer; address: 16 Goulden St.; census place: Battersea, Surrey, England; family history library film: 1341149; national archives ref: RG11; piece/folio: 644/19 and page number: 31.

I am looking to confirm these details as well other family heritage/ancestry information. When/Why/How they left England and emigrated to Newfoundland, Canada and details/info regarding my GGGrandparents???

Kindest regards,
Nora :)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: PHILLIPS from England to Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »

Hi Nora

Welcome to Rootschat. 

I did a check of the 1891 English Census and can see the John PHILLIPS you found in 1881, still living in Battersea with wife Ellen and children John W (most likely this is William ) aged 13, James A aged 11 and Ethel aged 2.  John is still a Packer at Candle Tallow Factory.

Given that you found a Baptism for John Thomas PHILLIPS 1881 in Canada then I think that you can rule this particular family out.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: PHILLIPS from England to Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)