Author Topic: Llansilin Denbighshire  (Read 6590 times)

Offline SteveBr69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llansilin Denbighshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 July 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
After doing a quick check I’ve just seen that you have had a few conversations about the family lines I’ve listed above, so I’m about 9 years late into the chat!!
What great work you’ve all done and I’m pleased that it seems to match most of what I’d found because I was a bit uncertain. So it looks like we are a bit stuck with the Llangollen Richard Jones and with the origins of John & Sarah Jones from Llangynog unless I missed something? Really appreciate the help you all give so generously. I found a  Richard Jones I was leaning towards but can’t really be sure of - born in 1794 in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog. It seems not too far from Llansilin, but pure guess work.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve , looks as though we are the same family, the 5 yr old Richard on the 1851 census is my gt gt grandfather, who when he was older moved to Liverpool were he met my gt gt grandmother who was from Anglesey, all part of the mass exodus of Welsh and Irish moving there in the 1800's

The records I have are similar to yours , if you check the 1841 census John Rodgers is shown as a pauper at the end of the family info, he died later that year. Also the twin girls Mary and Martha were not Richards daughters I believe , still trying to sort that one but it's difficult and does it make any difference so long as they were all loved.

The pics I have of the bakehouse were sent by e.mail and sadly although I have paper copies I don't know how well they would transfer to you and the originals seemed to have dissapeared from my laptop but I will keep looking, but I have to say the one photo is a very good likeness to the ones on forum, plus the others I had were of the bread oven all inside, etc.
I still have the e.mail address of the chap who helped me so I will try contacting him for any more info, thanks for all the info you sent through you have been working real hard, how long has it taken you to gather all of that or do you already have a family historian whichever way keep up the good work.
Cheers l.b

Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, no luck with email for chap in Llansillan it keeps bouncing back, but I will keep trying another way. Oh and Richard jones is my gt grandfather , got carried away with the greats. Although from what I have heard he was a great man.
Cheers lb
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi owltalk can you tell me please what year the photos you posted of the bakehouse in Llansillan were taken, the paper copy I have looks very similar except the building on the right of it is not there. I have tried contacting Chris the chap who sent it but his e.mail is bouncing back.

The view I have is similar but slightly side on showing the building wth the chimney pot central and the one attached has the same metal roof all with same markings , is it possible that the photo of extra buildings you have is were the family lived and the one I have is when that section had been demolished, I know when when we were there the new houses had started to be built as shown in your photo, we were there in 2012 I believe, any info you have is very welcome.
Cheers lb

Offline SteveBr69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Well it’s lovely to ‘meet’ a long lost relative Liverbird - greetings to you and your family.
So our Ann Jones and your Richard Jones (jnr) were siblings it seems.
Interestingly Ann’s daughter Martha married a Llanfyllin man and they also moved to Liverpool around the late 1880’s and lived rest of their lives there. I wonder if she would have been in touch with uncle Richard? I have a photo of Martha from the time before they moved away from Wales.

Offline Beaver49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
July 2021. Found an old bit of town map, not sure of date but it gives some of the names of the houses.
So crossing the road from the church, on the corner now is a dark grey pebble dash building which was The Old Hand Inn with a house next to it called Dalesfa, looks like been knocked into one big house now. To the left of that is Tegwen (undergoing work), left of that is Gwynfa. Large house possibly two knocked together as there should be a house called Arwelfa. To the left of that is London House which looks totally out of place! To the left of that is Gwalia, also in the process of being worked on. To the left of that is a drive way belonging to The Old White Lion. To the left of that is Bwthyn Darwin Cottage. Didn't note anymore. The old post office has been converted

Offline Owltalk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi owltalk can you tell me please what year the photos you posted of the bakehouse in Llansillan were taken

I took them in 2008-9. The big house is Tyn Llan (or Tynllan). It was finished (refurbed) and sold in 2009. In their garden is a little stone house - a one-up/one-down. Everything else was knocked down. Behind the other buildings was an orchard and (as I found out) a treasure trove for bits of old pottery. I used to go looking every day when the workmen left.

The Old Hand Inn has always been one property, with a flat tacked on the side, but part of it might have temporarily been given another name. Working up the street... Tegfan was also a bake house. It's a tiny house dominated by a very large fireplace/oven in the middle of it. Gwynfa, and the one next to it, were two houses, now joined.

London House - the front fell off when a resident overdid it trying to change the window openings. The cheap brick wasn't a popular choice.

Gwalia was two tiny cottages, now one. At one point it was another bakehouse/cookhouse for the White Lion Inn (now The Old White Lion), but the White Lion had two ranges and a bread oven of its own too. The Old White Lion had a brief period of being named Glyndwr.

Darwin Cottage was called Darwen Cottage, but an owner changed it in the early 2000s.

Preswylfa is next, followed by The Old Post Office.

I can do the other side of the street, if you like.  :D

Talking of the other buildings at Tynllan, the smaller buildings didn't really look habitable. There was a rough driveway in between the buildings. I think the little one-up/one-down house had a shed tagged on the back. Behind it was another shed/building. Across the drive was the 'bakehouse' and the orchard.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Big thanks to owltalk for your reply and your offer of more info , all as I know of the area I was directed in was to cross from the church and pass the well/ memorial on the left to go up the track. Obviously there was nothing to see apart from the new houses.

I have taken copies of the photos sent to me and they have turned out quite good considering being paper copies and the age of them  I am just having trouble posting them for comparison as they were photographed using my I.pad can you suggest any format please as I have never done this before .
One is of building , the others are interior, what is interesting is Chris said there was another room which he did not venture into as it appeared unsafe. Could this be the third building on your photos

The originals were photographed in 2007 so about the same time frame as yours but a different angle
Cheers l.b

Offline Owltalk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 July 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
@Liverbirds

If you photographed the pics with your iPad, they are very likely already in jpeg (.jpg) format.

What I have found on this forum, is that there is a maximum file size you can upload for photos.

I could send you a message with my email address? They should send to me OK, and I'll see what I can do with them.