Author Topic: King Famiy Leiston  (Read 3510 times)

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King Famiy Leiston
« on: Monday 06 February 12 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on the very large King family that I believe lived on Leiston Common. I am related to Mabel E (1895), daughter of John G (1867). I believe Johns father was James (1838) and Sophia but I am not sure, with James' father being George (1816).

The real problem seems to be an expansion of the King family in the early part of the 1800s and the common names in use and the reuse of names in a second marriage, it's all very confusing.

I have not found anybody researching this area, perhaps I know why.

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: King Famiy Leiston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a fairly good trail from the Census Returns:

1901  Mabel King born 1895 Leiston.  Parents John King c1868 & Florence.

1871  John King c1867 Leiston.  Parents James King c1839 & Sophia.
From FreeBMD: Marriage  John KING Jun Qtr 1864 Blything Ref: 4a/981 & on same page Sophia KEABLE. 

1841  James King c1838 living Leiston with parents George King c1816 & Emma.  Oldest child Sarah.

I think George may have married twice as I have found this entry on the Suffolk Marriage Index:
George KING married Sarah WOOLNOUGH 11 Mar 1834 Leiston with Sizewell.

A Sarah KING age 26 of Leiston Common was buried on 25 Oct 1835 Leiston St Margaret (Source: Suffolk Burial Index)

FreeBMD records the marriage of George KING & Emma BAILEY in the Sep Qtr 1837 Blything Dist Ref: 13/475 (Leiston is in the Blything Reg Dist).

If this is right the death of George's first wife Sarah in 1835 would explain the gap in childrens ages between birth of Sarah 8 & James 3 on 1841C.  Familysearch.org gives a Sarah KING bpt 21 Sep 1834 Leiston, parents George & Sarah (Eng ODM).

I also found the burial (SBI) of a James KING age 62 abode Leiston Common 3 Dec 1834, Leiston St Margaret.  Could this have been George's father.

A copy of the 1864 marriage cert for John & Sophia would confirm his fathers name &, if it is George, a copy of the 1837 marriage cert would give you George's fathers name.

There is certainly a similarity in the use of names.

I hope this helps
Keziah

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
In the census taken 10 yrs after 1901
Mabel King is 15 the rego area is Blything Suffolk.
I hope this helps with your search.
It matches her birth rego district in 1896 as Mary Elizabeth.

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
or better still the birth registration (FreeBMD)
Mable Elizabeth KING Jun Qtr 1896 Blything Ref: 4a/973 :)

A copy of this would give you Florence's maiden name & you would then be able to find the marriage of John & Florence.  A copy of that marriage cert would enable you to positively confirm his fathers name.

If you look at the 1891C on the same page as John & Florence you will see a John & Martha ***stead with a son John 19 born Plumstead, Kent.  1871C  John & Martha Newstead both born Suffolk living in Plumstead with daug Louisa 9 born Suffolk & daughter Florence E 4 born Plumstead, Kent.  By 1881 they are all back in Leiston.

I think John & Florence married in the Mar Qtr 1888 FreeBMD lists them under 2 different ref nos so it would need some research
John KING Mar Qtr 1888 Blything 4a/966
Florence Elizabeth NEWSTEAD Mar Qtr 1888 Blything 4a/968

K

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Have recently come back to research this family (my grandmothers line) having filled in a lot of gaps I would like to find out more about the children of James and Susan (marriage 25 April 1757 Leiston St Margarets) Does anyone have access to, or details from the parish register for Leiston St Margarets for the period 1757 - 1770. To date I have found a number of possible children but cannot prove attribution.