Author Topic: Robert Atkinson and wife Jane  (Read 15056 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Atkinson and wife Jane
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
We have three dates for jane, Dec quarter 1903, Dec quarter 1906 and mar quarter 1907? .

If you are looking at dates in 1903, 1906 and 1907 this must mean that you've found her alive in the 1901 census?

Where is she in 1901?  I haven't been able to find her.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rayaco

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB, we have not been able to find Jane in the census, we found the dates from freebmd, but have not been able to confirm any dates, they are only dates that could fit with her age. Thanks

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
If she can't be found at all on the 1901 census then it would seem reasonable to assume that she died sometime between 1891 and 1901, and you need to look for a death between those years.

You mustn't necessarily go by the ages - the age given on a death certificate is given by the informant, and can well be incorrect.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There is only one possible candidate that I can see - Robert Atkinson who died in the 3rd quarter of 1889, aged 66, i.e. born, as you have said, in 1823.

In 1891 Jane Atkinson is living at John Street Kimblesworth. (Her son John is still living there in 1901 with his sister-in-law Mary, wife of Jeremiah)

The index to Durham Records Online is showing the burial, in 1889, of a Robert Atkinson aged 66 of John Street Kimblesworth. http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/newsearch.php

So I think that suggests that the Robert Atkinson I found on freeBMD is the correct one.

Offline rayaco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Once again, many many thanks. Good work, very much appreciated.

Offline rayaco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, We finally have a marriage certificate, which is for Robert and Jane, the surname of Robert on the marriage cert is Atchison and for Jane is Neal. Durham registry office did a search for us and this is what they came up with. This is the only marriage with a marriage of robert and Jane, in that area, so must be them. Their children are all down as Atkinson. Robert's father's name is William Atchison, a Pitman. Jane's father is John Neal, a mariner. Robert and Jane are residents at Byker Bar, when they got married. Any advice about the name change and how to proceed?  Thanks

Offline rayaco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 May 12 15:23 BST (UK) »
looking for the parents of Robert and jane. Robert's dad is called William Atchison, don't know his mother's name, or any other info, except William is a pitman. Jane's father is called John Neal, he is a mariner. Can't find any more details about them. Robert and Jane were married at All saints, Newcastle on Tyne, on 29th may 1852. Both living in Byker, but believe Jane was born in Ireland. Robert was living as a lodger in the 1841 0r could have been the 1851 census. Thanks

Offline rayaco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 January 13 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but still can't find the death of Jane. In the 1871 census, Robert and Jane's youngest children, ( John T and Jane) are shown as being born in Cockfield and all are living in Cockfield, But we can't find them in the 1891 and 1901 census, we know that Robert died in 1889. can anyone find them please and Jane's death? Many thanks

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 January 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 census, Robert and Jane's youngest children, ( John T and Jane) are shown as being born in Cockfield and all are living in Cockfield, But we can't find them in the 1891 and 1901 census,

Hi rayaco  :)  I did in fact tell you where they were living in Kimblesworth in 1891 and 1901 in reply 21  ;)

1901 census

RG 13 / 4676 / 119 / 11

37 John Street, Kimblesworth

John T. Atkinson, head, s, 35, Cashier at coal mine, Durham Cockfield
Mary do, sister in law, m, 47, do Bildersham
Robt do, nephew, s, 21, Supt on cleaning belts mine, dp Kimblesworth

1891 census

This has to be the same family, living at the same address (where Robert died in 1889*) despite the incorrect place of birth

RG 12/ 4100 / 81/ 9

37 John Street, Kimblesworth

John T Atkinson, head, s, 24, cashier, Durham Staindrop
Jane do, mother, wid, 59, do do
Jamesw do, brother, s, 19, clerk, do do

Staindrop is in fact only about 3 miles south of Cockfield where John was born.