Author Topic: Campobasso, Italy families..  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Lora Strazinsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Campobasso, Italy families..
« on: Tuesday 07 February 12 18:37 GMT (UK) »
My husband's great grandfather was Frank Fiorilli (sometimes spelled Fiorrillo/Fiorillo). He was born 30 Jan 1884 in Campobasso, Italy in St. John's?  He came to the USA in 1900.  I have no clue how to even begin searching for him in Italy and trying to find his parents.

In the US, he married Victoria Paolucci, who was also born in Campobasso on 1 Jan 1890.  She came to the US in 1903.  Her mother was Marie _________ Paolucci (b. 8 Sep 1864).  Possibly her maiden name was Mezzacappa? 

Was wondering if anyone know anything about these families or if there is a resource that doesn't cost too much money that might help me..

Thank you for your time :)
Goodrich, Jameson, Fraser, Selby

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campobasso, Italy families..
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ellisisland.org
 - I think that your man may be the Francesco Fiorillo listed here, as originating from "   S. Giovannisi Goldo " (San Giovanni = St. John, and San Giovanni in Galdo is in Campobasso).

He is listed as 16, heading to Cleveland, and having a brother Antonio there.

https://familysearch.org has their marriage
in 1906, Francesco Fiorillo  (parents listed as Carmine Fiorillo  and Nataliena Credico ) and Vittoria Paolucci (parents Guiseppe Paolucci  and Maria Mezzacoppa).

There is also a possible sister's marriage, Laura Paolucci in 1909 (parents "Joe" and Mary Mazzacappa)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lora Strazinsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
This is fantastic!!  Thank you so much!!

Offline rfiorille

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 13 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lora,

I have a lot of information on your husband's family from the Microfilms of the LDS, as well as info from my trip to San Giovanni in Galdo in May of 2011.  While I was there I met a Fiorilli who is a second cousin of your husband's father.  He told me he met an American in 2010 visiting San Giovanni in Galdo who was, believe it or not, a great grandson of Francesco Fiorilli.  He even had a family tree from this American that he copied in order to share with me.  After looking at my database I see that your husband and I are sixth cousins.

The "brother Antonio" that jorose found was Francesco's oldest brother, born 7 May 1875.  Antonio came to the states 24 April 1899 going to see his Uncle Michelangelo.  Michelangelo was the younger brother of Carmine Fiorilli (listed below by jorose as the father of Francesco Fiorilli).  Antonio, his Uncle Michelangelo and Giuseppe Fiorilli (another brother of Antonio and Francesco) are all listed in the 1900 Census living as boarders at 11 Fairview CT in Little Italy, Cleveland.  To add another neat little fact to all this information...after high school I worked for a roofing and siding company that was owned by 2 great grandsons of Giuseppe Fiorilli.  I didn't know this until years after when I was into my family research.

I have a lot more information on this family that I would like to share.  If you reply to this post, I will re-post twice so I am able to send you a private message and we can exchange emails and information.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Robert

Offline Lora Strazinsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 13 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Robert!
I am so excited to hear from you! I would love to see any information you have, my husband will be so thrilled!

Offline rfiorille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 06:11 GMT (UK) »
My last post was my first on this forum and I need to post at least 3 times before I can send a Private Message.  Hopefully this works immediately and I can send you my email.

So, post #2.....

Offline Lora Strazinsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 13 06:19 GMT (UK) »
:)

Offline wmallan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to get more information on my great grandmothers family.  Her name is Michelina Palladino born 1890 in Campobasso, her father - Pasquale Palladino and mother  - Vincentia Paolella.  Thank You.  Wendy