Author Topic: 10th London Regiment hackney rifles  (Read 1388 times)

Offline galata00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10th London Regiment hackney rifles
« on: Tuesday 07 February 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
This is my first post, so forgive me if I dont get this quite right.
 I would be very grateful for any help you can give me on this subject.
I have been trying to find information about my late grandfathers world war 1 military service, I have tried searching Ancestry for medal card and service records  but have drawn a blank.
All I know is that born in 1899 he joined the 10th London  regiment at the age of 16. Served in Gallipoli and Turkey were he spent time guarding POW near Galata bridge. I am intrested to know what the regiment did in the time my grandfather served.
Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10th London Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Some relevant documents - at a price - on this site: http://www.ww1photos.com/London10th.html

Your ancestor would have been only 16 at the time of WWI outbreak. He could not be sent overseas until the age of 17 years 6 months, I think. Until then he would have been a boy soldier - tailor or drummer, some such occupation if aregular. But the 10th London Regiment was a part-time soldiery doing some local training only. He may originally have enlisted in the 18th Volunteer Rifle Corps which melded into the 10th later.

All medal awards are on the Medal cards - perhaps your man had a relatively common name.

Another problem is that the whole Brigade went to France in 1916 and remained there until 1919. Your man would have been too young to go in 1916 and may have transferred to another outfit altogether to be guarding at Galata. Actually, as far as I can determine Galata Bridge was in Turkish hands throughout and Galata was the site of a prison which held British and allied prisoners of war. I think the Turks only surrendered that in about October 1918.

Best idea is to put his full names here and perhaps someone can then give you real help.

Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk