Author Topic: Egremont Cemetery  (Read 13259 times)

Offline ayemas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egremont Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Wondering if someone with a camera could take a couple of picture for me in Egremont cemetery.
The first is for Section F, Con,  Grave Number 71, it has a headstone for  Mary Shepherd.
The second one is in Section H, Con, Grave Number 366, I have no idea if there is a headstone, the name is Charles Shepherd.
Than you.
Ayemas. (Australia)
Lowdon.  Durham/Cumberland
Hann. Northumberland
Shepherd.Watson, Casson, Mossop, Whitehead, Bowness, Nicholson, Eilbeck Cumberland.
Maundrill  Yorkshire/ Somerset

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Egremont Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:21 GMT (UK) »
A little more info for you - There are others buried in the first grave - Section F Con Grave 71. Purchased by Mary Shepherd - Innkeeper.

James Shepherd buried 7/7/1925 - 40 years - Deceased address 49 Montreal Street. Cleator Moor.
Catherine Shepherd buried 24/12/1938 - 74 years. - Deceased address 14 South Street. Egremont.

Mary also purchased -- Section F Con Grave 63

Thomas Shepherd buried 21/8/1895 - Aged 40 - Married -  Cleator Moor.
Elizabeth Shepherd buried 8/6/1918 - Aged 62 years -  Widow of 17 Montreal Street. Cleator Moor.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ayemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Sandra,
Thank you very very much for taking the time out to do that for me, and the extra information was a great Bonus. It is lovely that people like you can help people like me on the other side of the world to put their family tree together.Can I ask was all the Information on the one Headstone. I hope it wasn't too cold or wet for you.
Once again Thank you
Ayemas ( Australia)
Hann. Northumberland
Shepherd.Watson, Casson, Mossop, Whitehead, Bowness, Nicholson, Eilbeck Cumberland.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayemas,

Your very welcome.  Have the cemetery records for Egremont which have a few details on them.
In the area at the moment and have a vague idea where abouts the grave is - fingers crossed we can get the photograph or you. (Hoping it is still standing)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayemas,

Found a headstone for Shepherd - this looks like Section F Con 63 rather than F Con 71.
If it is F Con 63 then F Con 71 does not exist anymore - there are numerous blank spaces.
Elizabeth, the wife of Thomas Shepherd is also buried in F Con 63 - buried 8 th June 1918 from 17 Montreal Street. Cleator Moor.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Checked the son Miles Shepherd and his wife Sarah Harrison but they are not buried at Egremont.
The probate for Miles in 1915 stated they were living at 3 Office Cottages. Bigrigg (probate granted to Charles Shepherd and Benjamin Martindale (joiner)) and for Sarah who died 1937, she was living at 37 Crossfield Road. Cleator Moor (probate granted to Charles Shepherd) - so perhaps they could be buried at St John's. Cleator Moor  ???

Sandra

Offline ayemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Thank you very very much for going and taking the photo for me it was extremely kind of you, and I have thanks to you  a bit more to add to my Family tree.
Regards Ayemas
Hann. Northumberland

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 12 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
                      I have a query regarding buriels at Egremont.
  I have that Margaret Cameron  died 28 Sept 1817 aged 62, is buried at St Mary"s Egremont.
 Several children are also buried there but I have not been able to find any information for the death of her husband Edward. I don't think that he is named on her headstone.
   They had 5 children with the last Hannah baptised 16 Jan 1799.
   I suspect that Edward may have died about 1800 ( the family of 5 being smaller than could be expected for the time.)
   If you can supply any clues to his death it would be very helpfull.
  (from another Aussie seeking answers)
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wyanga,

This particular Egremont Cemetery opened in August 1864 so unfortunately neither Edward or Margaret would be buried there. 
The Parish Church of Egremont - St Mary and St Michael is the original site of two chapels/churches of St Mary and St Michael - demolished then rebuilt 1884. Stands in own church grounds but over the years the area around the Church has been laid with tarmac so there are fewer headstones to see.

Sandra