Author Topic: Egremont Cemetery  (Read 13262 times)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: Egremont Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 12 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I travelled up there last year having prepared a spreadsheet containing all the relevant information re my many family members there.

When I got there it was pouring down with rain and I had left my sheets behind.

Will be there again on Sunday and the spreadsheet is already packed, along with an umbrella and my camera lol

Whilst I was there I found a grave containing members of the Bone family whose names I didn't recognise, so I rang my dad [his grandma being a Bone] to ask if he knew of them. 

To which he replied "no cos there are a lot of Bones in Egremont" I replied without thinking "not as many as there in here" lol
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Half Pint,

Its been a year or so since we last visited Egremont Cemetery and I honestly thought "vandals" had been at work.  Not so - Egremont Town Council are the "culprits"
They are pushing over any headstone deemed to be unsafe and leaving them on the ground, which means some cannot be read again because the inscriptions are face down - Health and Safety gone mad again  ???

Shout if you need any help.  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
I am looking for the burial of a John Hodgson b 1888 and died Nov 18, 1924 in Scalegill Place, Egremont. He wouldn't have any other immediate family (that I know of) buried with him as his wife Hannah remarried after his passing. There could be siblings of course, as he had a somewhat notable Uncle named Martin Hodgson(overseer of the Florence Mine) that the town shut down it's mining operations for his funeral the day of Oct 31, 1928 in Egremont. His wife was named Rachel.Is it possible that you could find his burial spot also?

I appreciate your time and effort,
Kind regards,
Jan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 July 13 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

John was buried 22 November 1924 - Grave Ref L Con 68 - Deceased Address - 3 Scalegill Place
Purchaser Hannah Hodgson.

There is also a Ann Hodgson buried in the same grave 4 th March 1936 - Deceased Address was 7 Scalegill Road. Moor Row.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 July 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Rachel and Martin Hodgson are buried A Con 57. Martin (died Whitehaven Hospital) buried 31st  October 1928 and Rachel on the 6th December 1931.  Address was 63 North Road. Egremont.
Graves purchased by Martin Hodgson in 1915.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 July 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
A Con 57

Agnes Hodgson was buried in this grave location 20th March 1915 (aged 14 years) Deceased Address was 63 North Road. Egremont.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 July 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
There is also a Elizabeth Hodgson who was buried 22 February 1914. Elizabeth was a widow and the mother of Martin Hodgson. Deceased address was 14 Brisco Road. Egremont.  Grave purchased by Elizabth Hodgson of 63 North Road. Egremont. Grave Ref A Con 35
No other person listed for the same grave.

Sandra

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 July 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you so much for this Sandra. The Ann that is buried with John is his mother. I'm so thrilled that we finally have found her. Her husband is buried in South Africa and we thought the same for her as there are not any records that we can access at this time. The young girl buried is Agnes, Martin and Rachel's daughter. I am very grateful for your efforts. Is the Cemetery just called Egremont Cemetery and is it on North Road also?

Bless you,

Jmama

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 July 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Sandra for the news of Elizabeth. This poor woman was 9 months pregnant with Martin (youngest of 9 children) when she was widowed after her husband James was killed in the mine he worked in. Is there any record of his burial inn this cemetery?