Author Topic: Bromley Green Farm Ruckinge Kent  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bromley Green Farm Ruckinge Kent
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Bromley Green Farmhouse, Ruckinge Kent.
I would love to know whether this farmhouse still exists. My husband's aunt told me that she used to visit her aunt, Mary Maria Barten nee Howland at the farmhouse when she was a child. She took a train to Hamstreet?  She remembered a date stone over the door of the house.
1901 census shows John Barten and his wife Mary living at Bromley Green.
They had a son Bazil Barten born 1899.
Bromley green farm seemed to pass between the Howland and Barten families.
1851 census shows William Howland b 1769 Warehorne, 1861 Stephen Howland b 1809 Warehorne  1871 still Stephen Howland  1881 Edward Barten b 1840 who had married Catherine Howland  1901 John Barten married to Mary Howland (as above)
I have recently been sent letters written by Mary Barten (nee Howland) to her sister Ellen Blanche Salmon (nee Howland) in the States during World War 2. The address from which the letters were sent was Poplar Farm Bromley Green so I am now wondering if this was same place as Bromley Green Farm.
If anyone can help who has local knowledge, I'd be most grateful.
Kind regards

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bromley Green Farm Ruckinge Kent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Another of Bromley Green Farmhouse here http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?id=181675

There is a Poplar Farm, Ruckinge which appears to be quite near to the other one http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-181690-poplar-farm-and-projecting-wall-ruckinge/map

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 12 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant to see a photo of Bromley Green farm and the location of both places. Thanks so much!

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Bellini.

It is unfortunate that the photograph is taken from a poor position on the road and shows only the roof of the farmhouse and roofs of some outbuildings. Immediately in front of the farmhouse are some large firs making it difficult to get a good view of the building from the road.

Poplar Farm is close by, and the house is about 100 yards or so from the farmhouse at Bromley Green Farm. Both are near to what is known as Bromley Green crossroads. Although I haven't checked myself, both can probably be seen on Google Earth.

Prior to the parish boundary changes, Bromley Green Farm was in the parish of Warehorne before being transferred to Ruckinge. Bromley Green Farm has been the home of a branch of the Harden family for over 100 years, so although your family would have had dealings with Bromley Green Farm, I would suspect their connections would more likely have been with Poplar Farm.

Regards,
Scobie

Offline BJones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 22 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just saw yr post and funny enough just been looking at some barns to renovate at this address. Looks like the house is on the market too. Wish I had more monies 🤔
https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/1294307/doc_0_0.pdf

Seems they were trying to get planning for 260 houses on the land but was thrown out and now decided to split the farm up
The house is rather splendid               

Offline JimmyJam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 24 23:10 BST (UK) »
I live close to Bromley Green Farm and have done all my life. It was owned by Harden Family when we were Kids, now owned by Marshall family, the daughter. Farm is still a working farm and it is not for sale and nor is the land. The land and barn for sale was further up the road and opposite and was owned by different people. Can’t see the house from the road very well as large conifers in front.