Author Topic: Jones. Wales to New York. Help please.  (Read 1765 times)

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jones. Wales to New York. Help please.
« on: Saturday 14 May 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am entering this topic again as there was a "glitch in the works" and for some reason my topic was locked. Grub kindly fixed the Glitch for me and I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

My original request read:

I need help please in establishing when and how my great grandparents left the UK and came to New York and then when and how they travelled to Victoria, Australia.

Edward Henry Jones was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales in 1827 [son of Moses Jones]

Annie Jane James was born in Galway?, Ireland in 1827.

They married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church, New York on 6th August 1854.

Edward died in 1891 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

It is these gaps in between that have me wondering.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Koala. 

Wales..Jones; Ireland..James; Ekins; Halligan; Love; Hudson; Burmas; England..Bedfordshire..Birdsey; Rowe; Cove; Buckingham..Lovett;  Essex..Barker; Robson; Stock; Harvey; Hampshire..Robson; Wiltshire..Abrey; London..Giles; Hutton; Evans; Australia..Jones; Barker; Robson; Stock; Love; Hutchens; Hammond;

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jones. Wales to New York. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi koala,  would like to help but a couple of questions and need some more info/clarification if possible.

Found Edward Henry Jones & Annie Jane (James) Jones in Ancestry 1 World Trees  --  I couldn't see who made the entry. However, if it is you, then you already know he had 10 children,
1st son,  Edw. Henry b. 1856 but doesn't say where born followed by 9 more children all born in Australia between 1858-1874.  If you don't have the children's names, birthdates, will get it for you.

Some statistics shown in "Trees"  are a little different than what you have:

Shows Edw. Henry b. 1822  (not 1827)
       and marriage in 1852 in NY  (not 1854)

Do you know when Edw. Henry left Wales/England for NY?
Was he a child or adult?  Anyone travelling with him?
Did Annie come at the same time i.e. travel with him or separately or join/meet him in NY?
In 1850-1854 there are about 1000 each of  Jones & James per year arriving from England so it's a lot to go through without specifics.  Passenger records often just say Mr. Jones or Miss James or E. Jones, etc.
What was Edwards profession?  If he had a profession like Dr., Lawyer, etc.  he might appear in a directory or other reference.

In any case, they were not in US for 1860 Census, so may be hard to find anything about them unless 1st son Edw. Henry was born in U.S.

I've never searched for emmigration data from US to Australia --don't know how records kept, but I'm sure someone on the emmigration to Australia board might be able to help you with that.

Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 05 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Thankyou so much for your reply. I have a lot of information about Edward and Annie Jones' children all born here in Australia from my own family papers research.

I also have a copy of the Church Marriage certificate for them. According to the certificate they were married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church in New York on the 6th August 1854 by the Rev. Dr. Leythorpe. There is some doubt as to whether the Wedding ceremony was conducted in the actual Church or at the home of Rev. Dr. Leythorpe at 186 East 15th Street, New York City. USA.

My problem is that I do not have any dates as to when Edward Henry Jones left Wales or dates for Annie Jane James leaving the UK for the USA. I am not sure actually whether Annie came from Ireland. My information on her is from Family Oral history that was written down by those who have since died.

I am guessing that Edward and Annie came to Australia during the "Gold Rush" in Victoria as they settled in Sebastopol on the Ballarat Gold fields. As their first child Edward was born in Sebastopol in 1855 they must have left the USA soon after their marriage in New York.

I will keep searching as although I find it frustating at times it certainly is exciting when I find "nuggets" among the "pay dirt." I am not sure about the terminolgy in "gold parlance."

This is a really great site and I am thankful for your help.
from.
Koala [South Australia].

Wales..Jones; Ireland..James; Ekins; Halligan; Love; Hudson; Burmas; England..Bedfordshire..Birdsey; Rowe; Cove; Buckingham..Lovett;  Essex..Barker; Robson; Stock; Harvey; Hampshire..Robson; Wiltshire..Abrey; London..Giles; Hutton; Evans; Australia..Jones; Barker; Robson; Stock; Love; Hutchens; Hammond;

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi koala!  Based on the first child being born in Australia --  that narrows the window of time in the US a little.  Will run a general search on them 1851-1856 and see if anything pops up  ---  frankly not much could  ---  except for their wedding  --no census, births or deaths in the US it seems. 

Have you contacted NY City/State Vital Statistics/Records for the Marriage record?  Marriage records of that time period often don't include alot of "juicy" info --  but it might yield something you don't already know.

If you need me to find who to contact I will.  Probably don't have it on-line --  most likley written request only with a fee required. 

All I can say, is stay with it and play your hunches and "outside" guesses --   with the help of Rootschat, had several of those "hunches" pay off in a BIG way this week in my own search!   Hope you  "Hit the Mother Lode" to carry on the mining metaphor....

Regards,
kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Thankyou so much for the added note. I have just now received an Email message from my Cousin in Western Australia who is also researching our Jones Family Ancestry, to say that he has found that Edward Henry Jones' occupation is given as "Ship's Steward," so that could be the reason he was travelling to the USA.

I only discovered this second cousin of mine late last year when we were both on a UK genealogy site and I noticed someone else searching for information on my Grandmother.

It's a large world and yet a small world in Family history search.

I will take note of your advice and keep searching Kathy.

Really enjoy your life,
regards,
Koala [South Australia.]