Author Topic: Search for property COMPLETED  (Read 3259 times)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search for property
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 February 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
 Jim this is going to be a bit long winded, as I believe I can't upload an image here, but here goes, I have an old photo of the bridge spanning the Mersey on what I shall call the 'new' Chester road adjacent to Taylor street on the south side and Gainsborough road on the north side of the river, this photo was taken when the bridge and Chester road were both new about 1901, the photo was taken from the twelve arches railway bridge side, so looking under the bridge towards Walton Lock, on the left bank and in the distance is a large three storey property, could be a house, could be industrial perhaps a mill, I'm not sure, after consulting an OS map of 1877 this property has the front verging on the 'old' Chester road  and the back facing on to the Old Quay Canal, what you have to remember is that what is now Greenall's avenue is all that remains of the original route of the Warrington to Chester road. The last terraced houses on this road before coming to the building I am attempting to identify was Leigh Villas, when the canal was excavated in this area in around 1891 these properties disappeared and the unkown building was roughly where RA Naylors timber yard wharf is. In my 'tinpot' way I thought if I could find who lived in Leigh Villas or even River View, Crossbrook View or Millbank Villa, then I could use the 'Next household facility' in the 1881 census to work my way along until I found it. Well! Jim that was the theory.

Unfortunately Andy could not provide me with a name that I could enter into the search facility of the 1881 census to get me into the census so that as I said previously I can search next household, perhaps it was me that did not provide sufficient information.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
algy, you are most certainly allowed to upload images here. And if you are able to, adding a portion of a map of the area you are describing, may help.
 :)
Some help on how to post images:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very detailed explanation Algy. As someone raised in Warrington I know the area you are talking about very well. What was confusing me was the reference to old Chester Road, which I took to mean Old Chester Road at Walton which still exists and, strangely enough, in the 1881 census had a property called Leigh Villas!

So what you are referring to is what is now Greenall's Avenue. Am I right in thinking this would be called Chester Road in 1881? If so then I'll see what I can find in the 1881 census. Meanwhile, posting a map like Ruskie says could help in the search.

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:30 GMT (UK) »
algy, you are most certainly allowed to upload images here. And if you are able to, adding a portion of a map of the area you are describing, may help.

But not on ". . . . Lookup Requests" boards?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very detailed explanation Algy. As someone raised in Warrington I know the area you are talking about very well. What was confusing me was the reference to old Chester Road, which I took to mean Old Chester Road at Walton which still exists and, strangely enough, in the 1881 census had a property called Leigh Villas!

So what you are referring to is what is now Greenall's Avenue. Am I right in thinking this would be called Chester Road in 1881? If so then I'll see what I can find in the 1881 census. Meanwhile, posting a map like Ruskie says could help in the search.

Jim
Correct Jim, I really would appreciate that.
algy.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:33 GMT (UK) »

Not on lookup requests boards? I didn't know that! Why not?

Where c/should algy post this image then?  :-\

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »

KG, you beat me to it,  after attempting and failing to upload an image here I then read that you could not upload to the Request Board, but thanks Ruskie you were only trying to help and I appreciate that.
algy.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Well you learn something new every day.  ::)

It seems like posting the image will be a great help to anyone who wants to try to help you, so I'm wondering if you could post the image on the photo board or even the common room, give a brief description of the location, and then provide a link to this thread?.  :-\ Also provide a link here to your photo thread?

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 12 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Would the area you're referring to be classed as Walton Inferior? If so then the census that Andy pointed you to could be the right one as it does mention a Leigh Villas. With your free access to the 1881 census can you not go in on the reference number that Andy gave you? If not then just search in the county of Cheshire for William Jeffs, born 1861 as he is the person living at Leigh Villas. From that you'll be able to see the adjoining properties.

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)