Author Topic: ST JAMES CHEDDINGTON Baptism Lookup Please( COMPLETED THANK You)  (Read 5972 times)

Offline B.E.

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ST JAMES CHEDDINGTON Baptism Lookup Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 February 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've had a look through the registers and censuses for Mosterton in particular and can just about piece together a few strands. I've also had a chat with the local historian in Mosterton to ensure I'm not missing anything.

It's (slightly) interesting that Robert SAUNDERS b.1803 appears to disappear off the face of the earth. There's no burial for him in Mosterton and he doesn't figure in the 1841 census in the local area. However, I don't think that's exactly unprecedented.

Our problem is that there are no Chedington baptisms or burials prior to 1813, when the records were 'lost'. There are some marriages from 1753, but the only Saunders is William, m. to Jane in 1805. Charles, at Primrose Cottage in 1841, may be a product of that marriage.

I think we probably have to assume that Robert was telling the truth about his age and his family, but if that's the case, then unfortunately it appears the evidence may well be lost for ever.

Offline rodhill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ST JAMES CHEDDINGTON Baptism Lookup Please
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 12 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi B.E.
Many thanks for your much appreciated assistance . looks like Robert will remain a mystery
again many thanks
Rod