Author Topic: TOBIT  (Read 4388 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TOBIT
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:19 BST (UK) »
Jann - thanks for your reply.    Unfortunately I do not have her MC but when entering her family details on my Heritage a link has been thrown up.   I have asked the person if he has any documentation and if not will just have to apply for the MC.

Harry

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 September 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Now have the MC but all writing looks the same.   One of the witnesses is "Hellen" Talbot - Letitia had a sister named Ellen?????

Still very confused :'(

Apart from the link with Sarah Watkins I cannot seem to be able to prove it either way

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 02:15 BST (UK) »

The fact that all the writing looks the same may indicate that the signatures were written by a clerk rather than the named persons. 

Helen/ Ellen -   Seems like a case of the dropped "h" or the added "h"". (In my family I have the Hester/Esther problem.)

This may be something that cannot really be proved, but I think it's reasonable to assume that Letsey didn't change her name to Talbot and Ellen didn't change her name to Helen.  I suspect both differences  can be attributed to "clerical error".

Jann

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Jann end everyone

the evidence, niece (Sarah Watkins) with them on three of the census, place of birth for both Letitia and Sarah  on 1891, 1901 and 1911 census shown as Selsey, Sussex.   I cannot find a L Talbot either on the census  (between 1851 and 1861)

There is one L Talbot born in B'ham in 1851 but have discounted her.

Am now 99% sure I have proper family and it is all (Tobit/Talbot) down to clerical error

many thanks to you all

Harry