Author Topic: Please help to decipher a Wiltshire will: relating to CORSLEY  (Read 1441 times)

Offline zempavlob2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help to decipher a Wiltshire will: relating to CORSLEY
« on: Friday 10 February 12 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Parts of a Will dated 1841 are proving beyond my deciphering skills, so any help will be much appreciated.

I think most of the place names mentioned in it refer to CORSLEY, WILTSHIRE, and the surrounding area, although there is a reference to 'SYURA' (?) near WEYMOUTH in part 1.

Due to the size I will have to upload it in several parts; also I've deleted most of the names in it because I wasn't sure about uploading the complete Will, downloaded from the National Archives.

Happy to upload my attempts at deciphering the Will if it helps?

thank you!

update: unable to add any more to this post

Offline mgf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Please help to decipher a Wiltshire will: relating to CORSLEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
devise unto ...... daughter of my Niece ....... of Lynch near Weymouth Dorsetshire my Freehold Close of Arable land at Chapmanslade in the said parish of Corsley purchased by me of Nathaniel Barton Esquire deceased and containing three Acres or thereabouts now in the occupation of James Wilkins To hold the same unto the said ...... her heirs and assigns forever for her and their absolute use & benefit I give and bequeath unto ...... son of my late Nephew ...... deceased All that my leasehold Estate called late Phillips's consisting of two tenements and gardens in the respective occupations of John .... and ...... and of a Barn and three Closes of land in my own occupation the whole being held by me by lease under the late Thomas Marquess of Bath To hold the same unto the said ...... his Executors administrators and assigns for all my Estate and interest therein at the time of my decease for his and their absolute use and benefit But incase the said ...... shall depart this life under the age of twenty one years and without leaving lawful issue him surviving Then I give and bequeath the said leasehold Estate with the Appurtenances unto ...... the daughter of ...... the younger of Corsley aforesaid who now resides with me and who married Sarah the Widow of my late Nephew ...... deceased To hold the same unto the said ...... her Executors administrators and assigns for all the then remaining leasehold estate and interest in the same for her and their absolute use and benefit Provided always and I direct that if the said ...... or ...... shall for the time being be entitled to the said Leasehold Estate by virtue of this my Will and
Fo(o)rd - Sussex (Brighton/Battle)
Collins - SE London / Kent
Clark - central London
Monk - Co. Durham
Owen - Cardiganshire & SE London / Kent
Richardson - Kent/Sussex
Sto(a)kes - Kent
Taylor - Suffolk
Walker - Herts (Redbourn)

Offline mgf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
shall be under the age of twenty one years my Executors hereinafter named and the survivor of them and the executors and administrators of such survivor shall during any such minority receive and take the rents and profits of the said leasehold Estate and premises and after paying and discharging or otherwise providing for the payment of the rent and other payments if any and for performance of the covenants in the said lease resavides(?) contained pay and apply the residue of such rents or a competent part thereof in or towards the maintenance and education or otherwise for the advantage of such one of them the said ...... and ...... as shall for the time being be under the said age and be entitled as aforesaid in such manner in all respects as my said Executors or the survivor of them or the executors or administrators of such survivor shall think fit I give & devise unto the said ...... All those two Freehold Cottages with the Gardens thereto belonging situate at Chapmanslade aforesaid in the said Parish of Corsley purchased by me of John Barter or his mortgagees and now in the respective occupations of ...... and .... Barnes And also all those two other Freehold Cottages adjoining or near adjoining to the last mentioned Cottages and situate at Chapmanslade aforesaid in the said Parish of Corsley with the Gardens or garden Ground to the same belonging containing by estimation Two acres and an half or thereabouts purchased by me of ...... or his mortgagees and now in the respective occupations of ...... and ......
Clark - central London
Monk - Co. Durham
Richardson - Kent/Sussex
Sto(a)kes - Kent
Taylor - Suffolk

Offline mgf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 12 00:58 GMT (UK) »
And also all my Estate and interest whether as mortgagee or otherwise and whether Freehold or Chattel of and in those two Cottages with the Garden and Paddock thereto adjoining and belonging situate at Chapmanslade aforesaid in the said Parish of Corsley and formerly mortgaged to me by William Doll but now in the respective occupations of John Silcox and John Brown as my Tenants To hold the same six several Cottages lands and hereditaments unto the said ...... his heirs executors administrators and assigns respectively according to the nature of and for all my Estate and interest in the same respectively for his and their absolute use and benefit subject nevertheless to and charged and chargeable with the payment of the sum of three hundred pounds hereinafter bequeathed to the said Rosa Baily the daughter of the said ...... I hereby give and
Clark - central London
Monk - Co. Durham
Richardson - Kent/Sussex
Sto(a)kes - Kent
Taylor - Suffolk

Offline zempavlob2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
 :o

thank you sooooo much, that is absolutely brilliant! You've made it look so easy but I know how long I spent looking at it so thanks again for your effort. 

I can now see some of the words you've translated, such as "assigns" and "direct" (I had "asfigus" and "firont") and as a result you've inspired me to try redeciphering part 2 of the will...

and your translation of Lynch, near Weymouth, enabled me to find the family there on the 1841 census which was an unexpected bonus: I'd been looking for 'Syura', near Weymouth :-\

regards

Offline mgf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, and I'm glad it's got you moving. I remember staring at my first will in this style of handwriting and wondering what the heck it said, but having done a few from my own family now I can say that you get to know the forms and turns of phrase -- "heirs and assigns" is pretty much a given, as is "devise and bequeath". But I'm still surprised how hard it can be to pick some words out: you have no idea how long I spent working out "education"!! And I've just taken about a 99th look at the one I rendered above as "resavides", and now think it might actually be "...in the said lease reserved & contained...", which makes better sense as well.

As to Lynch, I could see the ynch but was unsure of the first letter -- but a quick look at a Google map of Weymouth revealed a Lynch Road and Lynch Lane, and I then realised the same letter occurs later on in the word Leasehold. Just goes to show that you use every little clue and tease whatever you can out of it!

Good luck with part two, and if you get stuck I'm sure we Rootschatters will be only too glad to give you another leg up.  :)
Clark - central London
Monk - Co. Durham
Richardson - Kent/Sussex
Sto(a)kes - Kent
Taylor - Suffolk