Author Topic: Bambrough Family  (Read 10891 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bambrough Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 October 21 03:05 BST (UK) »
The correct tree for this particular BAMBROUGH branch is as follows

1)  James Bambrough 1888-1918  married to Margaret Beatrice NEWMAN 1886-1931

His parents were

2)    William Bambrough
born 25 Dec 1851 Houghton le Spring, Durham (this has also been confirmed on the census's for 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901)
died 1916 Houghton le Spring, Durham
occupation on all the census was coal miner

he married Ann SWALLOW in 1873 at Houghton le Spring, Durham.  And had 7 children

Williams parents (and James's grandparents) were:

3)    james BAMBROUGH
born 31 Jul 1825 Houghton le Spring, Durham (as confirmed by the census for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881)
died 1888 in Houghton le Spring, Durham

He  married to Dorothy HESLOP in 1850 in Chester le Street, Durham.  They had 10 children

This James's parents were:

4)    William BAMBROUGH
born 4 May 1794 in Washington, Durham (as confirmed from the census for 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871)
Died 1876 in Hetton le Hole, Durham

He married Margaret THOMPSON in 1819 in Houghton le Spring, Durham.  They had 7 children.

William married a 2rd time to a Elizabeth USHER in 1866 in Houghton le Spring, Durham.  (also confirmed from 1871 census)

William's parents were:

5)  John BAMBROUGH and Elizabeth (maiden name as yet unknown)
They had 3 children, all born in Washington, Durham.
John died in 1833 in Houghton le Spring, Durham and Elizabeth died in 1849(yet still to be confirmed)

As yet no birth or marriage date has been found for John.

All of the above information has been confirmed through certificates, church records and census records.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bambrough Family
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 November 21 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Fred, and for the reply to PM.

Just for others/everyone I'm refreshing myself on Bambrough/Bamburgh history to help with our family tree research. I've complied these interesting facts about Bambrough/Bamborough/Bamburgh in Northumberland.

Bamburgh Castle. It was originally a Celtic/British fort called Din Guardi, and was possibly the capital of the Celtic/British kingdom of Bernicia/Gododdin ca 420-547. Some think the castle was the location of Lancelot's Joyous Garde of King Arthur stories. Passed between Britons and Angles 3 times ca 547-590. It was the seat of the former kings of Bernicia/Northumberland Ida Fflamddwyn "flamebearer"(547-559) & Hussa & Aethelfrith (ca 593-604) from ca 547/590. (Ida's wife/queen was Bearnoch.) Aethelfrith passed the castle to his wife Queen Bebba in ca 600/615 (from whom the castle takes its name Bebban-burh). (In Bede Bebba is just called "a former queen" without any mention of Aethelfrith. so she might not have been Aethelfrith's wife, she might have been Ida's, and some other earlier queen. I think I saw somewhere that her name is Celtic/British?) From 867 it may have been the de facto capital of an independent north-east Northumbria. Destroyed by Vikings in 993. Robert de Mowbray "Percy" ("pierce eye") owned the castle in 1095. The castle was owned by the English monarch between 1095 to ca 1191. The Forsters were owners/lords of the castle in later times (1191-...). Philip of Oldcoates controlled the castle in King John's reign. The castle was included in the property of friars seized on the behalf of Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Forster's owned the castle from the mid 1500s to ca 1700. It was sold to Lord Crew Bishop of Durham in 1704 and he placed the castle in the hands of a board of trustees chaired by Thomas Sharp Archdeacon of Northumberland, and then by his son John Sharp. The castle was bought by industrialist William Armstrong in 1894, and the Armstrongs still own it.

Bamburgh village, Northumberland. A late medieval village that developed near the castle. St Aidan's Church, Bamburgh was a church built built by St Aidan outside the castle wall in 635. Bamburgh is known for its association with Grace Darling.

Bamburgh Lighthouse was built in 1910.

Bamburgh Parish has 2 chapelries and 22 townships.

Bamburgh Beast, a gold plaque discovered in archaeological excavations at Bamburgh Castle.

Bamburgh Sword, disovered in archaeological excavations in Bamburgh Castle. Might be Ida's sword maybe?

Bamburgh Dunes, a site of special scientific interest.
Bamburgh Coast and Hills is also a site of special scientific interest.

Bamburgh Clinic, an extension of St Nicholas Hospital, Newcastle.

HMS Bamborough Castle was the name of a Royal Navy corvette in 1944.

Bamburgh Research Project investigates the archaeology and history of the castle and area.

Famous Bambroughs include:
Renford Bambrough, a British philospher, 1926-1999.
Sean Bambrough, free lance journalist in South Africa.
John Bamborough, British scholar of English literature and founder of Linacre college (Oxford).
Waltheof I ealdorman of Bamburgh ca 1006.
Laura Bambrough "L'Wren Scott", American fashion designer, costume designer, model, 1964-2014.
I could add myself Sean Bambrough, an independent researcher of history and mysteries and some other subjects who has made a number of seeming possible discoveries including Atlantis capital city (Tiahuanaco), and Alexander the Great's tomb (Taposiris Magna).
My father said his father said we are descended from a "Prussian prince" or "German prince" via a marine engineer, and another Bambrough from Newcastle said his family have the same tradition. Though I haven't been able to find any such link, so it might be a myth/mistake.
Bamburgh Baronets 1607-1631.

Similar names:
Bamberg a town/city in in Bavaria (Germany), also an early ruling dynasty of Austria, and name of Jewish Catholic prince bishops of Bamberg.
Bemborough (as in Sir Robert Bemborough who was at the Combat of the Thirty in 1351. He relied on the Prophecy of Merlin. His surname may be from either Pembrooke or Brandebourch).
Banbury, a town in England.
Brandenberg, north-east Germany, once part of Prussia under the Hohenzollerns.

Unfortunately I don't live in UK or Northumberland so I can't go and do research at the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society there, and other similar places/organisations in the UK.
Bambrough, Swallow, Newman, Wildermoth, Italian pow (unknown surname) or Edwards, Poole.