Author Topic: William and Sarah Kelly in Dublin  (Read 4264 times)

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Sarah Kelly in Dublin
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 04:48 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the William and Sarah Kelly family who lived in Dublin in the 1860s-1870s.  What I can find so far comes from St. Andrew’s RC Church records.  They are listed as the parents on three marriage records – Margaret Kelly to Denis Moran (1869), William Kelly to Theresa Moran (1873); and Phillip Kelly to Sarah Moran (1875).  Addresses included for William and Sarah on the marriage records show 21 Cheatons/Cheaters Lane (1869); 5 Johnstons Court (1873); and 25 New St. (1875).

Going back to the 1850s, I have found several possible marriage records but I do not know Sarah’s maiden name.  Also, there are records of other children baptized at St. Andrew’s in the 1850s that list William and Sarah Kelly as parents – may be additional brothers and sisters? 

If someone could check newspapers from that time or other sources in addition to the church records, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Sarah Kelly in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Please bear in mind that this is just a theory BUT Sarah's surname MAY be WEBB.

This is Philip's baptism

PHILLIP KELLY 
1849 ST ANDREW'S
PARENTS WILLIAM & SARAH KELLY 

One of the sponsors is Mary Webb

Looking at the documents you found on the family the name Webb (in particular Samuel  Webb)  has appeared a few times.

Also William and Sarah Kelly appear as sponsors on some Webb children's baptism (1 example)

MARY ANN WEBB 
PARENTS SAMUEL & MARY WEBB 
SPONSORS WILLIAM & SARAH KELLY

Of course they may have just been friends but may be worth looking in to.

Tara

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Tara.  The Webb connection makes a lot of sense.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Yup,

It's looking very likely

In 1861 a Joseph Webb son of Samuel married a Julia Moran (another family that you mentioned) and they were both living in Johnson's Court (an address you mentioned)

In 1965 a Teresa Webb daughter of Samuel married a Matthew Aylmer (address Cheators Lane - another address you mentioned )

In 1868 an Ellen Webb daughter of Samuel married a Peter Walsh (again of Cheator's Lane)

There is also a Joseph Webb as a witness at the marriage of Mary Anne Moran to Thomas Curry in 1862

Tara

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Great detective work.  There are too many connections not to think Sarah was a Webb.

Thanks!!!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
HA I'm a regular Miss Marple !!!

Tara

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information regarding death or burial records for any of these Morans and Kellys or their children (Margaret Kelly married to Denis Moran, William Kelly married to Theresa Moran; and Phillip Kelly married to Sarah Moran.) It appears that they lived in the Johnson's Court area and in the Ranelagh area.  I haven't seen anything in the church records.  Maybe there is something in old newspapers?

Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Without dates searching newspapers for possible death notices would be very time consuming. Some commercial website allow newspaper searches by keyword which might help. Deaths would be including in civil records, which can be searched up to 1958 using the FamilySearch Index, although searches will not be easy for common surnames.

Two websites which cover Irish newspapers would be the Irish Times Archive which goes back to 1859, and IrishNewsArchive which includes a number of Irish newspapers including Freeman's Journal from 1763 up to 1924 (with a few gaps), and also the Irish Independent from the start of it's publication in 1905.

Records for Glasnevin, one of Dublin's major cemeteries, are available on a pay-website, and some other details are available on free websites (mostly from Memorial Inscriptions rather than burial records) - see : Dublin Graveyards

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests