Author Topic: Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery Headstone Photo Request - Rangecroft  (Read 13292 times)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
Re: Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery Headstone Photo Request - Rangecroft
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 October 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, most of the family was RC but Annie may have returned to the RC church - but I cannot be sure.
Thank you and good luck .  I am also looking for a Thomas (John) Driscoll who was born in 1880, and may be buried there.  Thank you .
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 October 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Kerry, your toes weren't crossed tightly enough! I didn't find them, but the RC section wasn't on my itinerary. However, that narrows it down a bit for a future visit, and that area is reasonably clear.

There are clear areas appearing, Marian, but some may be just die-back of vegetation for winter. I didn't notice any signs of recent activity by the authorities or the cemetery friends who had a working party yesterday, but I didn't traipse the whole cemetery. However, I did note that Brockley Section G, which I didn't dare enter back in May, has been cleared fairly recently to reveal just half a dozen standing gravestones, not including the one I was hoping for. Whether it's been done by the authorities, or the cemetery friends who had a working party yesterday, I don't know. G is next to V and J in which there is evidence of grave reuse, so perhaps that's what's planned. Were you pressing for clearance of any particular areas?
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline bogeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,
Thank you for your reply. I am working with support from others to have the whole of the cemetery cleaned up so that we can find the graves and show the respect to our families that are buried there.

Kind Regards
                             Marian

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Marion. :)
I would love to help....but live on the other side of the world.
Kerry
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline bogeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerry,
Thank you for you message. I'm trying to get the cemetery cleaned up an email to hither green cemetery to the superintendant would help. I am a local and family historian if I can help you in any way please ask. I have found some Driscoll families buried in the cemetery but with out knowing where you ancestor was born not sure if they are connected to you.

With Kind Regards
                             Marian

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Marion
I have found my Driscoll's elusive, but I am sure of John and Kate (Catherine) who lived in Hanover st, Princes st, and Elephant Lane, Rotherhithe, and both died around 1901 and 1902.  Annie was their daughter and she died 1937 and is definitely in this cemetery.

John and Kate (both born in Ireland between 1832 - 1836) came to Rotherhithe around 1865 had son's Thomas who died of TB in 1894, and also James d 1882, TB. The whole family seemed to be riddled with TB, and there were a number of daughters who died somewhere between 1868 and 1890, incl Ellen, Johanna and Margaret who would have been in their teens, if indeed that old.  I have struggled to find their exact deaths.  There were 8 daughters.  Kate married Mark Henley, and died 1891 along with their daughter. Bridget married Richard Maybank and had 3 sons, but she succumbed to TB about 1910 - not sure where she is buried. 

I know that my Driscoll's were probably related to others in this area or nearby - but it is really hard to work out who was family - and there are just so many Driscoll's in the area!

I appreciate you looking for me.  Thank you.
Kerry

Offline bogeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerry,
I have made a note of the information I will be on the case!

Marian

Offline bogeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerry,
Found the deaths for John and Catherine John died 1902 St Olave aged 64 Catherine died 1901 St Olave aged 58 and Bridget Maybank died 1910 St Olave, all the deaths are in the district of Rotherhithe, I would think they all would be buried in the Brockley or Ladywell cemetery as the church yards were full. My family were around the same area my great great grandmother died in 1872 and is buried in Ladywell. More later.
                        Marian

Offline armes52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 November 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone give me a rough idea where this grave could be in the Brockley cemetery. I want to take a photo of the headstone .The grave number is 275 plot U . C of E
The family members are Emma Armes 18th Nov 1935, Eliza Armes on 30th Dec 1939, Benjamin Stephen Armes 29th Jan 1940.

Thanks
Karen