Author Topic: Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery Headstone Photo Request - Rangecroft  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery Headstone Photo Request - Rangecroft
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 30 July 23 06:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, bad news. Brockley Section Z consists of about 600 unmarked common graves behind only 2 or 3 rows of 100 or so  monuments on private graves along the edge facing Section X. The unmarked area is covered with long grass and brambles making it impossible to see headstones if, indeed, there are any. However, unlike elsewhere in the cemetery, the growth doesn't mostly reach head height in summer.

This photograph looks across from near the corner with Section X and the road. Your browser may support using the mouse to pan around (shift/wheel) or zoom (control/wheel). On the middle right it's just possible to make out a path which arches across the area towards Ladywell Section G. They keep this mown, enabling you to get a closer view of ... loads of long grass and brambles. I'm afraid I don't have a map of the plot layout to locate any particular grave.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline awb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery Headstone Photo Request - Rangecroft
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 30 July 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your super quick reply and for the information. I had suspicions the reply would be that sort of information.
looking at deceased online she was interned with about 14 other people non related in Z-344.
Can't find out anything else or even how she died, I am assuming some kind of paupers grave being that many in the same area and unmarked.
I will arrange a day trip  to have a wander around.
Again thank you for your help.