Author Topic: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!  (Read 11348 times)

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 February 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Tara, I've only just seen your post. That would fit her age totally. Thank you -you're a star!
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #37 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I have nagging concerns about whether we have the right Rose and Thomas... The number of children, Ann(i)e, her age when the last child is born...

I doubt it's the wrong Thomas and Rose - Rose's place of birth on the 1911 census fits (Drogheda) perfectly and that for Thomas is close - plus the baptisms confirm the surname for Rose. I wouldn't say there are that many Sheridan / Kenny couples with a Rose Anne from Drogheda.

Have you a civil marriage cert for Rose and Thomas ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Not the official cert, but we downloaded the transcribed IFHF document. Marriage St Mary's Drogheda, 23 June 1890, Rose Anne Sheridan, Mary St, Roman Catholic, father John Sheridan married Thomas Kenny, Wicklow, Roman Catholic, father Bartholomew Kenny. Witnesses Catherine and Francis Sheridan (her sister and brother)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
It may not help much, but the other detail that a civil cert would show would be occupations for the groom and both fathers, sometimes the bride..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
You should also be aware that the residence listed on a civil marriage certificate is that of the bride/groom at time of marriage and not where they were born, where their family was living, etc. Perhaps this is also the case for the marruage record for Thomas Kenny and Rose Anne Sheridan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 13 February 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
There's a possible match for the father of Thomas on Griffiths - a Bartholomew Kenny listed in the townland of Davisshill, Co. Carlow. There are two entries in the same townland - one for land and the other for a house, but I think they probably relate to the same person. This valuation record is dated 1852.

see : Bartholemew Kenny - Carlow

Davisshill townland is about 6km south of Hacketstown.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 13 February 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Following on from the Kenny info you found on Griffith valuation, we have also found Winters and Sheridans at Silloge, Monasterboice, County Louth. Can you tell us anything more about this document and how to interpret it?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 13 February 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean interpret Griffiths ?

It lists occupiers of property along their immediate lessor (i.e. landlord) with basic details of the house or land. The Valuation was carried out between 1847 and about 1864 - the exact date depends on the area.

The AskAboutIreland website also allows you to view a map of the townland with the various sites marked out, so you can often see the exact location of the building or land in question.

If you google Griffths Valuation you can locate further details

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 13 February 12 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Great - thanks for the info.