Author Topic: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!  (Read 11345 times)

Offline msheridanfall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #45 on: Friday 28 December 18 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I am new to this but have stumbled across this thread in my search for infornation. My grandfather is listed as a Francis Michael Sheridan from Baltray, Drogheda born in 1896. I do not have a location for his birth. He died in 1964.  I suspect he might be related to the Sheridans in this thread. I am trying to determine his parents. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #46 on: Friday 28 December 18 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat
The first thing you need is Francis' marriage cert to get his father's name and occupation.
If he married in Ireland before 1941 (1922 for Northern Ireland) his marriage should be here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

There is a Francis Sheridan born in 1896 but in Green Lanes Fairgate his father Francis is a postman.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02183/1826513.pdf

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi msheridanfall,

Welcome! You've brought me back to this after a long absence!

I think you have the right family as Francis is indeed in my tree. I have Francis married to Jane (nee Curry) in 1888, with 10 children, one of them being your Francis in 1895/6. I have no further info on that part of the family going forward in time, so was delighted to see that this is your grandfather.

Francis senior's parents were indeed John Sheridan and Anne Winters as you can find in this thread. I don't go a lot further back but would love to share with you. If you could do a couple more posts, you'll then be able to private message me through this site!
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Haven't read through all the thread but
My grandfather is listed as a Francis Michael Sheridan from Baltray, Drogheda born in 1896. I do not have a location for his birth.
Francis Sheridan born 7 Greenlanes, Drogheda-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02183/1826513.pdf

St. Peter's looks to be the local church- some later records on pay site as well as the free ones on NLI site-
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0211&parish=St.%20Peter's,%20Drogheda
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline msheridanfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 28 December 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness. So excited to see these replies. My stumbling point is that he also seemed to go by Michael Francis Sheridan and there seem to be several Michael Sheridan’s born to the Sheridan brothers in Baltray around that time frame. He came to the US in 1913 originally and married Elsie M. Ball in 1919 in Plymouth, Devon. His birthday is listed as March 26, 1896.

Offline msheridanfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 28 December 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Is there any free way to determine his parents? I saw where I could pay for marriage certificate. Feel free to message me.

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a pm.
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately we now have no idea what information you've been sent by PM but you'll probably need to verify the details you have since the son of Francis Sheridan and Jane Curry was born 17 Dec.1895 not 26 Mar.1896.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline msheridanfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I’m leaning toward it is not the Francis mentioned. I believe he went by Michael when younger and switched to Francis in US. From what I can find on Irish census for BaltrayTown. I believe his parents are James Sheridan and Mary (possibly Owens ?) and his siblings are Peter, James and Catherine.