Author Topic: Australian Electoral Rolls look-up please, WARREN  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Australian Electoral Rolls look-up please, WARREN
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for my two Great Uncles, who were sent to Canada as British Home Children in the 1920's, but who might well have made their way to Australia to join family already there.

Norman Claude Warren was born in Greenwich, London, England in 1906 & Ernest Henry Warren was born in Hastings, Sussex, England in 1907. Their father Ernest Henry Warren (my Great Grandfather) died in 1916 of TB when he was 34, leaving his widow with 10 children, including twin baby boys. She gave some of her children up to the National Children's Home, hoping to reclaim them when she was able, but they were sent to Canada.

Amy Eliza remarried, to an Australian soldier, 'Butch' Campbell and they settled near Sydney, NSW. Most of Amy Eliza's children also joined her in NSW, but we don't know if Norman Claude and Ernest Henry Warren ever made it to Australia.

Family in Australia and the UK would love to know what happened to them... The only further info that I have is that on their Mother, Amy Eliza Warren's Death Cert, (she died on 30th March 1959 in Narrabeen, New South Wales, Australia at age 78yrs) it says that Norman Claude Warren is dead. (Australian Death Certs list descendants of the deceased).

In Canada, in 1926, Ernest Henry indicated to the National Children's Home authorities that he wished to come to Australia to be reunited with his Mother and sisters.  According to Ernest's sister, Dorothy, he did make it to Australia.  His contact with his family, however, was apparently brief.  Ernest (or Ernie as he was known) then disappeared and as far as I am aware, made no further family contact.

What we don't know is...did he remain in Australia? If he did, what happened to him?

I can't see them on Passenger Lists, but perhaps they will show up on the Electoral Rolls?

Hoping that someone will be able to help.
Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Electoral Rolls look-up please, WARREN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Nothing under Norman Claude, various Norman's, but without knowing his occupation its a bit hard to narrow it down.
About 3 Ernest henry's from 1963 onwards, again hard to pinpoint if one of them is yours.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Nothing under Norman Claude, various Norman's, but without knowing his occupation its a bit hard to narrow it down.
About 3 Ernest henry's from 1963 onwards, again hard to pinpoint if one of them is yours.
mum mum

Thanks for looking mum mum.

I know that Norman Claude Warren reputedly died before 1959, (at least it said so on his mother's death cert) and so its probably best to concentrate on Ernest Henry Warren, (born Hastings, Sussex, England in 1907).

Does it give any ages on the info that you're looking at?

Re: Occupation...both boys had to endure as unpaid slave labour to Canadian farmers during their time in Canada. They also spent time working on the railroad, and one of them worked as a cab driver in New York City for a while. Their father and grandfather both spent their working lives working for the Pearl Assurance Company in Holborn, London, - very definately a skilled, white-collar occupation. And so I'm guessing that these young men could have turned their hands to many possible occupations...although they had of course been denied an education:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A possible marriage in NSW in 1938

Ernest Henry Warren & Nellie Dorothy Cox
1938, Chatswood NSW.
Reg: 1938/7604.

Regards
Gerry

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Are you able to provide any details on the other children?
If you go to www.ryersonindex.org
There is an entry there for Amy Elizabeth March 1959, if you ask for a look-up of this notice it may reveal some more information.
Leanne

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Leanne,

From John Bede Campbell's  WW1 records.

Amy Elizabeth Warren (34) married John Bede Campbell (40)
20th March 1918, St Saviours Church, Croydon, Surrey, England.

John & Amy plus her 5 children sailed for Australia on the 'Bremen' and arriving Melbourne in July 1919.

There was RC post from November 2011 that mentions the childrens names (6 not 5)
Dorothy,  Mable, Terence, Vera, Graham Francis, Bernard,   

Gerry

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 12 01:16 GMT (UK) »
There is another thread about your family on RC have you seen it?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,556455.10.html

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 February 12 05:20 GMT (UK) »
here are the notices for Amy
they dont give much info

Cass

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »

Many Thanks to everyone who replied to this Post.

Cass, - I hadn't seen those Obituary Notices before, - thanks for putting them on here.

Gerry, - that Marriage looks worth trying to follow up on.

Merlin, - thanks for the Link. I don't know how I missed that thread!

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching: