Author Topic: Tewel school, Kincardineshire  (Read 3730 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tewel school, Kincardineshire
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone ever looked at the Tewel school records around the 1920s period.  If so, what sort of information can one expect to find.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
Re: Tewel school, Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The admission registers for Tewel School will have the following (this is the same for most school admission registers):

Date of admission to the school
Name of child
Date of birth of child
Name and address of parent / guardian at the time of admission

Some will also have the following:

Standard reached (this is the class)
Exemption from religious instruction
Date of leaving
Reason for leaving
Name of previous school

The log books are more a diary written by the headmaster, and don't really contain information about individual pupils but they can give fascinating details about what was going on in the school at the time.  Usual entries include details on attendance figures (weather, farming practices and other events like local fairs all had an impact on this!). 

It depends on what sort of information you are hoping to find as to whether the school records will help you find this out.  The Tewel school records are held at Aberdeen City & Aberdeenshire Archives Old Aberdeen House office, and they can be emailed at archives [at] aberdeencity.gov.uk (replace [at] with @ when emailing!

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tewel school, Kincardineshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all that information.  Next time I visit Aberdeen I will go and have a look at the school records which hopefully will show me that the family who lived and worked on Fetteresso Castle Estate attended there, and when.