Author Topic: Lynn or Lynn of Aghaloo and Carnteel  (Read 4479 times)

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lynn or Lynn of Aghaloo and Carnteel
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, Hugh Linn or Lynn, was born in 1753 somewhere in either County Tyrone or County Monaghan. In 1766, Hugh Lynn, John Lynn, and George Lynn were listed in the religious census as being in "Aghaloo and Carnteel" (unfortunately, the town or townland was not included). My Hugh of course would have been only 13, but he later named his firstborn son John. In 1776, my Hugh married Sarah Widney, whose family is documented as owners of lands of Killymurry, which is just over the border from Tyrone into County Monaghan. Family legend has it that the Widneys owned land in Tyrone, but I suspect it was really Hugh who was from Tyrone, probably not far from Monaghan. Can anyone point me to records of Aghaloo Parish - gravestones or anything else? Thanks much for any help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lynn or Lynn of Aghaloo and Carnteel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. There are lots of links under TYRONE RESOURCES at teh top of this board- Aghaloo R.C. church records listed but most church records aren't online or may not exist for such an early period.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,501908.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome and the heads-up. I forgot to mention that these Linns/Lynns were Presbyterian.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kae/  has some stuff on your Lynns/Widneys....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jecgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
I have also been researching the Lynn family, also Presbyterian, but I had been focusing on Co. Derry and Co. Antrim.  My gf was a William James Lynn, born 1872 in Ballytober, his father was a William James Lynn born abt 1827, his father was William Thomas Lynn.  I have not been able to trace back any further but perhaps I have been looking in the wrong county.  I will expand my search to Co. Tyrone or Monaghan.

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hallmark, thank you for that link. I do have a copy of Dr. George Linn's book, and my great-grandfather is in it, but I do appreciate you posting it.

jecgirl, I don't know what your reason was for concentrating on Counties Londonderry and Antrim, but I wouldn't give them up while looking at Monaghan and Tyrone. Although our Linns lived in the latter area, a Y-DNA test proved my brother to be a close match to a Lynn family which is documented as living first in Londonderry and then Antrim before emigrating to the U.S. Ulster is not that big, and many families sent branches from one county to another.

The problem in Ulster is the fact that records prior to about 1850 get very sparse.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmm....very interesting, didn't realize I had something on a Lynn! A Hugh that died 1818 in Antrim though!

I won't put it up here as I might want to remove it later and it is not permitted, if you send me a PM with an email address I can send it to you if you think it might be of interest.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 April 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Happened to stumble on this topic.
jecgirl
I am currently tracking/tracing/trying to find some Lynns in Co. Londonderry.
A Robert Lynn to be precise who married a Mary Anne Cuningham in Nov 1835 at the Bovevagh Presbyterian Church ........
Robert's immigration records in 1842 (to OZ) and death certificate in 1869 indicate a birth 1809-1812 in either Banagher (extrapolated from immigration record) or Bovevagh Civil Parishes.
These documents also indicate his father was a Robin/Robert Lynn/Linn and his mother was an Elizabeth (possibly Muldoon - from immigration records).

Robert's first daughter was named Eliza Jane, first son was named William, then a bunch of girls Mary Ann, Martha, Isabella and Eleanor , then Robert, then Thomas.

Posts on this topic have "tweaked" my interest as Londonderry was mentioned as well as the name William and Thomas and Presbyterianism.

Any possible connections?
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork