Author Topic: James Jones, India  (Read 1151 times)

Offline caulfeild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Jones, India
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to trace the origins of JAMES JONES (1822-1908).

He was married on 26 Feb 1851 at Black Town, Madras, India to CECILIA CORNER. His father was HENRY SULLIVAN JONES.

James died on 14 Jan 1908 in Madras and was buried the following day.

His daughter, EMMA EVELINA JONES, was my 2x grt grandmother.

I cannot find a birth in India for James so suppose he was born in the UK.

I have found a James Jones on the IGI born about 1822 in Horsham, Sussex, but have no idea if this is the correct one.

Can anyone help please?

Alison

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: James Jones, India
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

The marriage of James to Cecilia gives his father's name as Henry Sullivan Jones. Hopefully that should help tie down if the one you've found in Horsham is the right one.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline caulfeild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 12 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

The Henry Jones, of Horsham, that I found on IGI doesn't have a middle name. Would I be right in thinking that it was still unusual for people to have middle names in the 1820s unless they were fairly well off ie middle class or above? The Joneses that I have found in the Horsham area don't seem to belong to the latter category.

Best wishes,

Alison

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I think it just depended on the family Alison. I have ancestors from that era that have middle names and they weren't well off. The fact that the middle name doesn't appear on the IGI record isn't that uncommon either.

It looks as though James and Cecilia had quite a large family. Have a look at the FamilySearch updated site for more details!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes