Author Topic: 1841 and or 1851 Heathfield  (Read 7324 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and or 1851 Heathfield
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
1841 possible at Fairlight HO 107/9/5 F19 p3
Thomas Pottin 60 Ind
Sarah 55
Ann 14 all born in county

The boys appear to be out as farm servants around the place.

Maybe this is what Suey has.
Andrea

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 January 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Well it's possible I guess..... I can't recall whether I have seen that entry or not, it's been a while and I'm out of touch... and I can't check it easily 'cause my ancestry.com membership has lapsed........

I do know that Sarah was a widow and living on Broadhurst farm (as previously noted)in 1851 and the George that was with her then I think was a nephew maybe or some other such close relative. 

Is it possible to have a look at Broadhurst farm in 1841 and see who was living there? 

Thomas Potten and Sarah and daughter Ann does seem to fit though as Ann looks the right age (more or less) to be 'our' Sarahs Ann as she was born around 1828.

It's possible that Thomas and Sarah were married in Kent maybe 'cause I have seen other Potten's who are from Kent, and I had wondered about that previously.  Also Sarah the widow's eldest son was called Thomas.... and since the first child was usually named after a parent or the grandparents it looks likely to have been Thomas.

Has anyone seen a death registration for Thomas Potten Snr?  Another thing to check maybe, and maybe Sarah's death cert might be of help (you know, states "widow of such and such"??).

*sigh* all things to think about... and possibly Sue already has looked into all this... hello Sue?? :D

Ciao!!

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 January 09 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I have found what could be both Thomas Potten Snr's death record and Sarah Potten's.  The ages and locations kind of fit....

Deaths Sept  1848 Potten, Thomas vol 7 pg 264 Hailsham district (no age) - this fits as he was alive in 1841 and deceased in 1851.  Death cert would help... but it looks like a good match.

Deaths Mar 1868 Potten, Sarah age 81 vol 2b pg 53 Ticehurst district - this I am not so certain of although it looks good - the age is right, the district I am not so sure of but there is no reason why she couldn't have been in that area at that time.  Would have to get death certificate though to be certain!

Ciao! Chris.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 January 09 14:16 GMT (UK) »

Hello Chris - just about every Potten in Sussex thoroughly researched by Neil is here on his website. 

www.rogers-davis.com

Thomas parents are Neri Potten and Margaret Carley.

No marriage has been found for Thomas and Sarah so sadly we don't know her maiden name :(

1841 they are at Marley Downs Farm, Fairlight

I have the same ref's for deaths for both Thomas and Sarah but not the certificates.....they are on the long list of wants  ::)

Sarah is at Westdown Farm Burwash in 1861 with an assortment of family. RG9 570 F127 p2

Sarah Potten 75 farmer of 170 acres employs 3 labourers
Thomas son unm 49
Henry son unm 47
Joseph son mar 36
Harriett Potten (nee Waters) dil 26 (Joseph's wife)
Naomi N Napp g dau 12
George Waters g son 4
George Napp servant 20  (Naomi's older brother)

George Napp married Naomi Barden Oct 1868 they had one son George b1870 d1873.  Naomi died 1874 George Snr died 1873  :'(

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for that!  That saves me a lot of work now doesn't it???  ;)  It's so much easier when someone else has done all the hard work ;)

I'm compiling a bit of a 'certs wanted' list myself - the more I look the more I find - bit of a catch 22 there hey! :D

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 January 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »

Thomas parents are Neri Potten and Margaret Carley.

The wills of Neri & Margaret Potten are transcribed (by Neil) on the Sussex-OPC site for Burwash.

Neri: "I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Potten the sum of sixty pounds of lawful money to be paid to him within a twelvemonth and a day after my decease."

Margaret: "I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Potten ... all and every my ready monies and securities for money, monies in the public stocks or bonds, household goods, implements of household, plate, linen, china, books, goods, chattels, cattle, husbandary tackle, debts, effects and personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever and of what nature, kind or quality soever the same whereof I shall die possessed."

If anyone can tell me the given name of the SANDS witness to Neri's will I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 February 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Re:  Neri Pottens Will

Sadly, the name of Neri's holding - tenements are not mentioned in his will of which I have a copy since the witnesses are ancestors of mine. Stephen Langrige being my 4X's Great Grandfather and the Sands witness has a very good chance of being of being his son-in-law Richard (perhaps foreshortened on the original will to Rch'd or similar and near the edge of the scroll obliterated at some stage in its storage).
The Pottens appear be located around the Heathfield -  Burwash boundaries in a later generation this area now known as Burwash Weald was then called Burwash Wheel after a local tavern colloq. known as 'The Catherine Wheel'- after Catherine of Braganza ???  My own research locates Richard and Philadelphia (nee Langridge) at Burwash Wheel in the 1780's. Window Tax returns place a Richard Sands at The Pound Farm, Burwash Wheel and states he tenants the farm for a Thomas Balcomb, few properties were eligible to pay this tax, windows being an indicator of wealth. This is intriguing as Thomas Balcomb was a witness at his marriage to Philadelphia in Burwash. Interestingly, Richard Sands himself also left a will, proved in 1832.
Undoubtedly, the Pottens and the Sands and Langridges (with their Mountfield connections in common with the Pottens?) knew each other and were reasonably comfortable in comparison to many around them. Richard was able to sign at his marriage. They were people of a certain standard if not gentlemen of substance.

I believe the witnesses to Neri Pottens Will are my relative Stephen Langridge and very possibly Richard Sands or at the outside his father.

M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 February 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A possible for Thomas Potten and Sarah's marriage

Thomas Potten to Sarah French 29 Apr 1805 in Hastings

And burial for Sarah

Sarah POTTEN buried on 16 Jan 1868 Age 81y  at Heathfield Cade St.Independent
'of Burwash'

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 February 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A possible for Thomas Potten and Sarah's marriage

Thomas Potten to Sarah French 29 Apr 1805 in Hastings

And burial for Sarah

Sarah POTTEN buried on 16 Jan 1868 Age 81y at Heathfield Cade St.Independent
'of Burwash'

Jan ;)

Hi Jan - is your marriage from the IGI because we have seen that one and the SMI very helpfully says he is Thomas POTTER of St Mary in the Castle Hastings  :-\
Worth following up though...

Where did you find the burial for Sarah ?  that must be her, thank you  :D

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins