Author Topic: James & Agnes ROBERTSON  (Read 1854 times)

Offline gidber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James & Agnes ROBERTSON
« on: Tuesday 14 February 12 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am wondering where to go to find where James & Agnes Robertson (& son Alexander) went after their arrival in Adelaide 1 October 1859 per Lady Ann.

Next to their name is N on TheShipList by Robert  Jamaat.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes ROBERTSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
what is Agnes ? name before marriage if possible and did James have any other names? where was James born?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline gidber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Cowie: Married Scotland 28 April, 1856 i recorded in Family Bible
As far as I know James had no other names (makes it difficult JR very common)
He was  born Scotland about 1830.  Father Walter & Mother Margaret Ewing.  I am unable to locate a death certificate in Aust, for James because of common name, at the present, but I do know he remarried in 1874 in Sydney and had 2 more children Margaret Ewing Robertson 1875 & Harriett Robertson1878 in Sydney with wife Eliza

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Second Marriage
1874 #370 Registered Sydney
James Robertson
Eliza Sowter

It appears that Eliza was married previously.
TROVE has a funeral notice for Eliza ROBERTSON, June 1896, inserted by her sons Arthur, Ambrose, William and Augustus SOWTER.  These names appear on NSW BMDs with parents Thomas and Eliza SOWTER 1859-1861

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14054447

There are also In Memoriam notices the next year:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14092499

And 1899
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14236782

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14318078

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15427861

It seems that the "Maggie", wife of George LETCHFORD who inserts some of the notices is Margaret ROBERTSON, the daughter of Eliza and James ROBERTSON as there is a marriage  in 1895 for Margaret Roberston and George Letchford.
Seems no other mention of the ROBERTSONs at all, except for Eliza's surname.

None of which helps a great deal in finding James and his earlier wife and child.  The only suggestion you might consider is to order a transcript of Margaret Robertson's marriage which may give you some idea of whether James was alive and his whereabouts at that time  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gidber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Agree with all of the above. 
Ialready have their marriage transcription.  Margaret Ewing  Robertson required consent to marriage being under age 21.  This duly given by father James.  So he is still alive in 1895  & therefore James is about 65yrs. 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Did the marriage transcript give any occupation or other info on James?  Did Eliza sign the certificate? Interesting that Margaret's marriage is in 1895 and apparently James is involved with the family but in 1896 when Eliza dies there is no mention of him. 

I note two deaths on NSW BMDs which I would think possible:

12487/1902    James ROBERTSON, mother: MARGARET, registered SYDNEY  - space for father not filled in
10456/1918    James ROBERTSON, father: WALTER, registered GRANVILLE - space for mother not filled in

Of course there are plenty of others with no parent names.  However I wonder if the first is worth considering as you would think his daughter Margaret Ewing ROBERTSON would know the name of her grandmother after whom she was named, even if not  knowing her grandfather's name - just a thought!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 04:18 GMT (UK) »
This might be Agnes, this Agnes  38yrs of age is buried at Rookwood in the Presbyterian area of the Independant Section, they have an online search, it appears that she is buried with a baby. There are also a number of James also buried in the Presbyterian area, but I could not identify if one of them are your James.

I had a look for Eliza, she is in the C of E Section at Rookwood,  no luck with James.

Also on the Rookwood disc it records a Headstone for Eliza the inscription reads Eliza Robertson died 16.6.1896 age 57. Nothing for Agnes on the disc.

Cass

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to attach the Funeral Notice that coudl be Agnes

Cass

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 04:20 GMT (UK) »
What date is the Agnes burial please?  

Gidber - do you have parent names for Agnes, please?

Adding - I see the notice is 1873 - that Agnes has parents Alexander and Margaret

Judith