Author Topic: FLAVEL FAVELL FFAVAUL FLAYVILLE FLOMVYLL ONS (Link)  (Read 5358 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FLAVEL FAVELL FFAVAUL FLAYVILLE FLOMVYLL ONS (Link)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Had a reply this morning from Dennis Flavell and he has a new site with contact details - as well as the older site.

http://www.one-name.org/profiles/flavell.html

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 March 06 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Denn.  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn
Many thanks for that ;D
Best wishes....Iris
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Miss Fanny Gordon Flavel and George Flavell, both of Magheradrool near Ballynahinch,
are listed on Ros Davies' Co. Down, Ireland Genealogy Research Site.

Christopher

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 December 07 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Don't know how much info can be gleaned from that but I shall pass it on to Dennis Flavell.

Thanks Christopher

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 December 07 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Denn,

I hope I'm not breaking Rootschat rules by sending you a link to a living person.

I see little harm mentioning Lisa Flavelle's article about her visit to the Niger in 2005
Click to read "Concern: Saving lives, Changing Mine" by Lisa Flavelle

I'll send a PM with a few more details

Christopher

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 December 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pm Christopher, I dont see any problem in providing a link to a site that is obviously open to anyone to view.

Denn

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 December 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pm Christopher, I dont see any problem in providing a link to a site that is obviously open to anyone to view.

Denn

Hi Denn,

Probably there are a few RootsChat jazz fans who have seen and heard the Chris Barber Jazz Band over the years. Jackie Flavelle played string bass and electric bass in the Chris Barber Band from May 1967 to July 1977. I've had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions. Once when he was playing at the Rotterdam Bar in Belfast and on the other occasion he was playing with Willie Drennan's Ulster Scots Folk Orchestra at the Ballynahinch Leisure Centre.

Jackie's Uncle ... William Flavelle was the conductor of the Ulster Amateur Flute Band which was a World Champion band several times in the 1950s.

A search of the Ulster Covenant shows twenty three Flavelle's signed the Covenant in 1912. Rootsweb has a page from Satima Flavell Neist's Flavlist containing Some Notes Towards a Consideration of the Origin of the Flavell Name which state that it's not a common name. The Huguenot sources in London and Dublin were checked and produced no Flavs although there was a William Francis Flavelle of Dublin (1779-1851). Having said that there was an article, by Mona Germaine-Dillon, originally published in Irish Family History, journal of the Irish Family History Society (volume Xlll 1997) which is published annually. Mona lists Huguenot Occupations and includes a dentist named Henry Flavelle.

A number of the Flavelles who signed the Ulster Covenant were Co. Armagh residents. When I noticed this the first thought that came to mind was Huguenots and the linen industry. www.flavelle.com/Tree/thomas/72.htm shows descendents of Thomas Flavelle and states that he was descended from a French Huguenot refugee reputed to have arrived in Ireland in 1572. The Canadian Encyclopedia has a listing for Sir Joseph Flavelle, Bart. These days Flavelle is considered to be an Irish name due to its Armagh connections but in Co. Mayo it also occurs as an anglicized form of the Gaelic name 'O Flannghail'

Christopher

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 December 07 23:11 GMT (UK) »
When I have a little time to spare I shall have a look at all that - the next few weeks aren't going to be a good time for study though.

Funny thing, although I only live 20 minutes away from Satima here in Perth, We have never met.

Denn