Author Topic: South Australia - McRITCHIE, Sqn Ldr Alexander Ian  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandpa John 1836-1900
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia - McRITCHIE, Sqn Ldr Alexander Ian
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando and Judith, we're dazzled by your speed! We are now seeking Thomas/Martha marriages in Scotland 18thC but our family link looks increasingly unlikely. We have some possibles in Perthshire, about 60 miles north of N Queensferry, whence some McRitchies went to St Helena, but this was the wealthy branch of the family ... trust me to back the wrong horse   :'(

Could have been worse, John McRitchie from Aberdeen picked wrong side at battle of Culloden and was transported to America.

Goetze death notice interesting, we learned he arrived in Adelaide in September 1849 as a crewman on the barque Louisa Baillie, which had sailed from Plymouth in April.  He had transposed his name to become William George Stephens, under which he married Christina with whom he had two children. Their daughter Caroline married R. J. Wild, who founded one of Australia’s biggest haulage and removal companies. They had 14 children, and she lived until 1942. We think Stephens/Goetze deserted Christina for the gold rush, met Hannah and had two sons by her, then married her and had two more. Busy man.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 12 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There were unclaimed letters being held at the Melbourne GPO on 30th September 1852 for
McRitchie, John M. L., Post Office Melbourne.

This may give an indicate that John, M. L.. McRitchie was in Victoria by 1852.

Regards
Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors was listed in the Victorian Government Gazette unclaimed letters list in 1852.  He was a mining surveyor and working in the US and didn't arrive in Melbourne until 1854 so as Gerry says, the letter may only be an indication of his arrival in Victoria.  Reading various publications over the years I understand there were so many unclaimed letters during the gold rush that the lists were eventually only published of letters which had arrived from overseas.  There was also a classified section of the Argus newspaper headed Missing Friends which was used to inform family and friends of arrivals etc.

John M's death certificate would list the years in Aus but perhaps this is not relevant now you think this is not your line.

I had read your previous threads :)

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 February 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think it's the end of this road. The 1814 census puts Thomas McRitchie in Alarm Cottage on St. Helena, his occupation a merchant. Over 200+ yrs my ancestors were not very imaginative with regard to names, giving Alexander, David, James, or John, so the names in this Australian line do not fit. In short, the McRitchies hail from the village of Dalmunzie in the Scottish Highlands, and are a sept (branch) of Clan McIntosh.

One interesting thing I did not know was that St Helena was owned by the Hon East India Company and was a crew rest, rewatering and revictualling stop on the westward journey from Australia, the sailing ships using the prevailing trade winds to go round the world rather than double back via the Cape of Good Hope. One account says that 1000 ships would call there each year.

Another St Helena resident was William MacRitchie, surgeon with the Hon East India Company. He may have been there at the death of Napoleon. The MacRitchies are from Clunie in Perthshire, about 50 miles north of my folk the ferrymen at North Queensferry. The Macs were very wealthy, the Mcs were not. Guess who backed the wrong horse?

Many thanks to all Rootchatters who helped us with this, particularly Judith and Cando. Very much appreciated! Best wishes from this McRitchie.

Offline Anne Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I am the Daughter of Alexander Ian McRitchie. I was born in England during the war and was 11 months when Dad was shot down after the Amien's  raid. We came to Australia after the war.I may have a little information, if I can help.

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you! I think your branch came to Oz via St Helena though I would be very interested to hear otherwise. While I never spoke to him, clearly your father and I shared a passion for aviation and I may have some info of interest to you. I have sent you a PM.
Best wishes
Michael

Offline Anne Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Michael,

I am new to this website and I am not allowed to view personal messages. Is there another way for us to converse e.g. my Facebook page (Anne McRitchie)? I am not greatly interested in genealogy and came across your notice by chance.I am currently writing my own book and was doing a little background research on my late father.

My phone number is also listed in white pages under 'McRitchie Barnes', post code 2480.

I recall my father mentioning that his grandfather (or great grandfather?) was on St Helena guarding Napoleon.

Warm Regards,
Anne

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,
Quite a few Anne McRs on Facebook, have sent PM to the one mentioning Joy of Ageing and Uni Melbourne.
Regards
Michael

Offline Anne Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes Michael, that is me. Have sent you an email. Warm Regards, Anne