Author Topic: S.W.B  (Read 943 times)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
S.W.B
« on: Thursday 16 February 12 02:30 GMT (UK) »
ON THE s.w.b list does it give the battalion name? im stil trying to find william duffys battalion it looks like its the 2nd battalion royl dublin fusiliers but i cant be sure ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i was at kew not long ago but i didnt bring ID so i couldnt go to the reading room,,,,,,,,, i no my grandfather got the S.W.B IN 1917,,,,,,,, HIS SERVICE NUMBER WAS 9352 WILLIAM DUFFY,,,,,WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW WERE HE SAW ACTION BETWEN FEBUARY 1915 AND AUGUST 1916 AS HE WAS DISCHARGED AUGUST 8 1916 DUE TO SICKNESS,,, HE WENT TO FRANCE FEBUARY 1915 AND WAS THERE TILL THE END OF MAY,,,,,, THEN OCTOBER 1915 IT SAYS MED....... THATS ALL ICAN READ ON HIS DISCHARGE PAPERS,,,REST IS HARD TO READ,,, WHAT WOULD COME AFTER MED??????? I HEARD TRU FAMILY HE WENT TO SALONIKA   

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: S.W.B
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 12 08:34 GMT (UK) »
"Med..." is probably Mediterranean Expeditionary Force - i.e. the army at Gallipoli and Salonika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Expeditionary_Force

Are William Duffy's discharge papers on Ancestry? I've had a quick look, but can't find them.

Adrian

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No it doesnt give Batt details
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:09 GMT (UK) »
This site gives an outline of where the various Battalions of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers served:

http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm

No mention of Salonika that I can see. The Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, formed in 1915, controlled operations at Gallipoli.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
no adrian there not on that site i have them at home but theres no mention of battalion just says royal dublin fusiliers,,,he signed up august 8 1914 discharged august 8 1916.........ive always wonderd were he was betwen may 1915 and october 1915,,,,,,,,i think he was in salonika in october 1915

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 12 11:33 GMT (UK) »
his medal card says france febuary 2nd 1915 but i think he was at the 2nd battale of ypers,,,,,,,,only battalion at that time in france /belgium was royal dublin fusiliers 2nd battalion so id say he was with them ,,,,,,,,discharge papers say febuary 2nd till may 28 i think,,,,,,,,defo end of may anyway,,,,,,