Author Topic: Please date gg uncle  (Read 3356 times)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please date gg uncle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I would agree earlybird.

Trouble is so far I have not found two girls that would be the right age during WW1 and no possible marriage for him before 1926.

Should I try a post on the WW1 board? I do not know how to get more information on his service. I am thinking his service records might confirm whether he was married at that time.

Dawn

LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Try the Australian War Memorial website first. There is a tab at the top of the Home Page which says "People" and you can put his details in there. If there a digital copy of his service record it will be found on the Australian National Archives website. So there's two starting points for you.  :)

Whoops, just realised, did he serve with the Aust Defence forces?

If not, then definitely put the photos on the Military site. Someone a bit more knowledgeable about those things will be able to help with dating the photos and particulars about the uniform.

Could the girls be his nieces?

Those photos found in a loft in France last year showed some servicemen photographed with civilians so it's possible that the girls are complete strangers to your g-g uncle! I wonder where the photos were taken?

All the best in your searching, EB
RULE - Cornwall,  SMITHAM, Smitheram (and variations of spelling) - Cornwall,
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 February 12 23:02 GMT (UK) »
If WW1 then I don't have any nieces so far that could fit the ages.

Sorry, your've already discounted nieces!  :-[
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 February 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
COuld they be sisters?  They have a very similar look to him about the face...

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 February 12 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking 99! Yes, Pru, they are very similar. I hadn't thought of sisters simply because there appears to be a large age gap between them, bit of course in large families that would have been quite common back then.

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 February 12 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I am still thinking nieces but ones I am yet to find.

He had two sisters but they were older than him.

My gran and her sister are only two years apart but born 1895 and 1893 so too old if the photo is WW1. They would have been 20 and 22 not 10 and 12.

As he was born 1881 his marriage in 1926 makes him 45.  I had wondered if he had married previously but cannot find a marriage for him so far.

Dawn
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 February 12 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

He has a star above the gunnery emblem, this would make him an able seaman class one. He also has 2 good conduct and long service stripes on his left arm. He has the same in both photo's so there can't be too great a time span between them. It's a pity we can't see his right arm in the 2nd to see if he has advanced in rank at all. He would have worn his cap tally if on shore in britain at any time as well as secure bases overseas.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 February 12 02:11 GMT (UK) »
DMR
If you were to share his name with the team, more information may come to light.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 February 12 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John915 for the additional information on his uniform.

It is amazing what can be gained from one photo.

I will get back with more information soon.

Dawn