Author Topic: Please date gg uncle  (Read 3360 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Please date gg uncle
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 February 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
In the 2nd. & 3rd. photo he appears to be wearing a wedding ring.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 February 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

What good eyes you have.

I am trying to get a better image of the photo with the girls. If I do I will have a closer look.

Thanks once again.

Dawn
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 February 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Having had a good look and read through everything again i'm now fairly sure all these photo's were taken on the same day. 1 & 3 definately are, he's in exactly the same uniform, look at the collar, handkerchief, scarf and landyard, all sitting exactly the same. Looking at some of my grandmothers studio photo's people took changes of clothing with them for different shots. So 2 is his good uniform for walking out etc, white shirt and landyard worn differently. 1 & 3 are work dress with dark shirt (I think). Found this while looking for dress regulations; http://www.pbenyon1.plus.com/Uniform/Phot/Wallace.html . I can't make out whether he has a ring on as the shots pixilate too much when blown up and you can't see the ring finger on 1 with his hand in that position.Whether photographers would keep the same backdrop and other props for many years I don't know, doe's he really look older in 2 or is it just the way the shot is lit and posed? There were probably a lot more photo's all together to give to different people or for his own album.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 February 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John915,

It is quite plausible that all three photos were taken at the same sitting. The backdrop and props are exactly the same. Even the positioning of the seat is the same in two of the photos.

Thanks for the added information regarding the uniform. It would make sense that one combination was a dress uniform while another was general wear. Thanks for the link. It confirms the uniform and also the rank. A wonderful find.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a better scan from my relative of the two sepia photos. Unfortunately the pose in the black and white print does not give us any clue to a wedding band.

Dawn
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 March 12 02:55 GMT (UK) »
A bit of an update that may help narrow down the date of these photos.

A relative has a photo with the same backdrop which shows the photographer's name and location.

It is EJ Russell, Duke St., St Austell.

Does anyone know when he operated in this location.

Dawn